Diggin' on the Squier CV Jazz Bass - Need input

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G-MonRV5, Nov 29, 2013.

1. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

Just played the Classic Vibe Jazz Bass (60's version) at the local shop and am thinking it might be worth grabbing as a gigging bass, but wanted to get some input from fellow TB'ers.

Yes, I've already read many of the comments on TB regarding the relative value of Squier basses, so I do not need to be sold on getting past my own gear snobbery. (I am normally a Fender MIA P-bass/J-bass guy who has zero interest in anything that is not Fender MIA, or MusicMan or Sadowsky or...)

The bass feels really good, so it passes my own subjective test as far as that goes. But I am looking for input on some specific questions:

- Upgrades - Has anyone had any issues with upgrading pickups or hardware? New pickups would almost certainly be a must.

- Bridge - Yes, it's a high-mass bridge, but is it suitable for the long haul?

- Basswood body... Don't have any experience with basswood, but I know it is used often in lower-priced instruments (and even occasionally in higher-end instruments with decorative tops.)

- I noticed that a heavy coat of polyurethane was used on the neck... Would there be any issues with sanding the neck down?

Thanks for any helpful input you can give.
  2. og61pbass

og61pbass

those are great basses just the way they are,the only thing I would do is take some real fine steel wool to the back of the neck as I dont like gloss finished necks,IMO it really defeats the purpose when you get a bass like this and put more money into it when it doesnt need it,if your gonna do that just get the MIA jazz bass already upgraded...;)
  3. MIMike

MIMike

I picked one up at a pawn shop about a year ago in my favorite color...oly white with tort guard. It was played pretty hard, but I was surprised how nice it was. Like you, I'm a bit of a Fender snob and have had mainly MIA models in the past. The bass itself is real nice...the electronics, not so much.
    Mine has all new electronics (within a week of buying it), including Bart 9s's and all new pots. I also put a Ken Smith bridge on it. I love this bass and play it regularly. It is my main backup to my other fretted Jazz.
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I got my hands on a used one just a couple of weeks ago…and I've drunk deep of the CV Jazz-flavored Kool-Aid circulating around TalkBass!

I really dig the sound and feel of this bass. I understand if the glossy neck doesn't work for everyone, especially if the humidity is high. I've heard you can also wave a fresh Scotch-Brite pad up and down the neck to "satin-ize" it, but you don't want to dig too hard. It's easier to take yet a little more off than to put something back, y'know what I mean?

As far as hardware goes, the only thing I've replaced are the strings and the pickguard. (Sorry tort-lovers, but photo-tort doesn't hold up to the esthetic value of actually-translucent-tortoise-shell, even faux plastic tort you can shine light through. But esthetic tastes aside…) I was able to drop a genuine Fender pickguard meant for MIA Jazzes on it with no mods whatsoever. One screw hole was a little off, but not enough to keep me from screwing it down. And the little truss rod notch doesn't bother me in the least.

I don't care what others say, basswood is fine. A lot of basses made by Fender Japan are basswood and people far-and-wide sing their praises. It shaves a little weight off, as well. A nice bonus that if you're gigging for hours at a time, no?

To my ears, the electronics on mine sound fantastic. Subjective opinion, I know, but to my ears it sounds exactly like a Jazz bass should…mellow when played softly, snarly when slapped or played with a stronger attack. The only mods I plan on making will be purely esthetic. (I plan on cutting a Marcus Miller-esque control plate and installing a Strat-style output jack in the future)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Concerning the bridge-It is different than most standard Fender 5 hole patterns.
  7. G-MonRV5

Thanks for the input so far. You make a good point of 16 bass - Shouldn't get too crazy with upgrades, since the purpose IS to have an inexpensive gigging bass. I'm thinking pickups would be a must, though.
  8. G-MonRV5

Sorry, og61pbass... Auto-correct got me.
  9. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

These basses are amazing. The neck finish might not be ideal for some, but I actually love it; especially with the maple fingerboard on the Matt Freeman. It feels like a circa 1980 Precision neck that I have, and not much different from a 1973 that I owned. It depends what you enjoy.

The quality of these overall is amazing. The bridge is different but I really like it. No need to change in my opinon, and I love the look of the brass saddles.

Pickups sound great but if you desire something else, of course that is an option. I replaced one of my CV's with Dimarzios and it simply sounds different, not necessarily better.
  10. Stinsok

I bought one of the bridges from a part out. I was excited when I got it, but the holes didn't line up with the standard pattern. I have a CV Jazz on the way. Instead of Scotchbrite on the neck I am going to polish the clear coat and make it more "slickery."
  11. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Not necessarily. From all I've heard, from owners and in sound clips, the CV Jazz sounds fine as it is with the stock pickups. I can personally vouch for Squier's DD pickups in their VM basses, I think they sound terrific, and I would never swap them out. Swapping out pickups is NEVER a must, more like a "maybe, if at all" kinda thing. IMO.
  12. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

I have, and love, and gig with, the CV "early 60's precision" aka the affordable Pino signature

It's amazing right from the factory, I really lucked out. I love the simple touches: they went way past the extra mile with the specific details. eg: mine has a thinner fingerboard (not a narrower neck, literally the piece of rosewood isn't as thick as a standard fingerboard. Feels awesome and resonates SO well), very small gauge fretwire, brass bridge saddles, awkwardly placed yet good looking "pull bar " thumb rest, gold logo, and an amazing vintage tint on the neck/headstock
    Amazing bass

I also had the squire "Jaco" fretless J and it was phenomenal

Didn't feel a need to upgrade anything on either of these basses (although it's true, the photo-tort on my P is definitely not gonna make tort-lovers happy!)

They're just crushing it, i love these basses
  13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Well, if you wanna get a brand-new (as in "hopefully un-played/not a demo, but not fresh from the factory floor*) CV Jazz, Best Buy is using The 'Bay to liquidate the last of their Musical Instruments overstock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Squier-Clas...e-/200977999346?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ecb38e5f2

*I bought one back in May 2013. Although a lot of their stock were out as demo models, this one was unopened…as in, complete with the factory box still stapled, but it was produced in 2008. I traded it for a Mustang I was very interested in trying out. Looking back, I should've kept it. Good learning experience, though. Now I've got one and I plan on holding onto it.
  14. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    It works like a charm. A few light passes make a big difference. I did that on my Modern Player Jazz V and I love it.
  15. elBandito

elBandito

Had one briefly. Wasn't too impressed. Why are these $125 more expensive than vintage modified series? If you take away the hi mass bridge and other cosmetics, which I don't care for, they aren't that different.
  16. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

The price difference may simply be a reflection of the production costs. The neck finish might be more expensive or labor intensive.

But it may simply be the country of production and rates that apply.
  17. Stinsok

I wondered the same thing about the Modern Player Jazz. A different pickup route and the doubled pickups worth another 200.00 above the CV? Looking forward to getting mine!
  18. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

With the modern players, I have to point more towards marketing on that one. (Fender label, right?)
  19. Stinsok

Yup.
  20. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    Not to derail thread - the new MP J's are completely different with the new electronics package. (based "loosely" on the Roscoe Beck V)

But (getting back to this thread), the CV is a great value for the money IMO.
  21. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Agreed. However pickup options dont really (in the grand scheme) cost the manufacturer more. Its simply something that is not available unless you pay extra for it, hence the marketing.