1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Digital IEM system--anything coming down the pike?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Schizoid75, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Unless I've missed something, there are no digital IEM systems available right now. Well, there's Lectrasonic or whatever, but that's a god-awful expensive system.

It seems that IEM's are really popular these days and are popping up more and more for typical bar bands. Why hasn't Line 6, Sennheiser, or someone else produced a digital model? Am I missing something or overstating the demand? How much extra work would it take for Line 6 to make an IEM system since they already have used the technology first in the X stuff and now the Relay stuff?

I just got a very, very cheap system to try them out (first gig Saturday, loved it) and I know I want to go to a nicer system eventually. I just don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a nice analog system and then have the digital system roll out the next month.

2. JKos

JKos

> Lectrasonic or whatever

Lectrosonics Quadra. You are right, though, quite expensive and seriously professional gear.

- John

3. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Yep - asked the same question here and on the Line6 forum a while ago and the silience was deafening...

4. stflbn

stflbn

Per Rich Renken in the Line6 Sponsored forum a while ago in response to my comments that a Line6 IEM system seems stupidly logical:

"It is logical and not ignored. We have many artist who are using our wireless asking about it. Can't say anything but that. :) "

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Well, maybe my timing will be perfect for once. I don't have the funds to upgrade to nice, custom molded IEM's right now. So perhaps the Line 6 will be ready early next year when I do! NAMM's in January, right? ;)

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i suspect the slight digital latency (4ms or so for the relay) might be an issue with IEMs.

for an instrument, that's like standing 4 feet further away from your cab, so not a big deal. i wonder how that might affect singing or drumming, though.

8. JKos

JKos

The Quadra has less than 1 ms of latency!

- John

9. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

I can drop thousands on a bass, but I just can't see myself spending $4-5k on the Quadra. It's pretty new, so maybe prices will be better on the used market.

10. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

So, time to drag this out of the graveyard. Anyone got any new info? I was hopeful that Line 6 would add an IEM system at NAMM this year, but that doesn't look like it's happening since all their new products are on their page today.

11. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

12. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Kinda cool, but I don't know. I'd like to have something rackmountable and with a little more info available via the displays. It's nice as a solution for multiple problems, but seems a little lack compared to an IEM system designed specifically for that function.

13. Hactar

Hactar

So, you have said that the Lectrosonic Quadra is expensive. (~$3.2K?)
    However, I will go ahead and make my suggestion :).

Zaxcom makes some excellent equipment, aimed at the film sound industry.
    If you were to get a Zaxcom TRX900, a RX900S, and an IFB100, you would have a killer bass wireless system and IEM system in one single set of gear. Range perhaps not stunning, but amazing audio quality, stereo TX and mono RX, incredibly light, and well-built.

Oh, and it would total something like $6000.:bag: But it would be cool. :hyper:

Anyway.... back on topic....

14. Wadge

Wadge

The main concern with the WI Digital is the latency. There aren't many reviews floating around the web. From what I have managed to read the following is the case.

A) the sound quality is truly excellent being digital.

B) they can be used in a lot of different applications where sending audio wirelessly is required. They could for instance be used as a digital wireless transmitter for your instrument to your amp, similarly to the line six line of transmitters and apparently they work well.

C) they are also touted as being suitable for IEM. This what first attracted them to me. The biggest issue with them is also the reason why Line 6 haven't as yet produced a Digital wireless IEM system namely latency. Apparently latency can run as high as 18ms which makes them quite unsuitable for IEM. The latency would be very annoying especially for vocals.

Lectrosonics make a system which has a latency of a mere 4ms or less making it very workable but the system is very expensive.

15. KingRazor

KingRazor

There aren't already digital IEMs?

I suppose you mean digital wirelesss (you didn't specify in the OP) IEMs?

Because if you want digital wired IEMs there's a few options.

16. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Yes, I was looking for wireless solutions. But I ended up biting the bullet and getting a Sennheiser ew 300 unit and then some JHAudio iem's. Couldn't be happier. The Sennheiser has been trouble free and the JHAudio's are the bomb.

17. tmc2300

tmc2300

Which model JHA's did you get?

18. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

I went ahead and got the big boys--JH16's. Very happy. So comfortable, sound is soooo good. I use them when I exercise and travel, too.

19. tmc2300

tmc2300

Cool! That's what I was thinking. How does your bass sound with them through the Sennheiser ew300? Do the lows really come through? Also, how good is the isolation? Do you add a few ambient mics to the mix?

20. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

I think the bass sounds great. To me, it's like recording in a studio. You hear everything the rest of the band is doing. You definitely hear all the lows, but you might miss "feeling" the lows a little bit.

I don't find the isolation to be much different than the Etymotic Research ETY earplugs that I've used for years. Of course, it's almost impossible to understand what anyone is trying to yell at you while you're playing. But during breaks between songs, it's just like a set of ear plugs.

Between the vocal mics and the drum overhead, I'm fine with the amount of ambient sound I get. I don't really care about the crowd noise. I'm too busy hearing all sorts of details I never caught before!

21. tmc2300

tmc2300

Cool. I've been using Sensaphonics ear plugs for a year now and really like them. Took some getting use to. I actually like how they cut out a lot of the high end from the guitars and cymbals. No more ringing in my ears after a show which is my concern with IEMs. I'd like to continue to keep the volume down to a reasonable level so as not to mess up my hearing. So it sounds like the isolation is enough so that you can actually keep the volume down, right? I've put together a cool monitor rig using a Motu 896. The only thing left is the IEM. I too was hoping for a digital solution that was affordable and low latency. It looks like no one has cracked that nut yet. Funny though, because I play through a Line6 G30 and don't notice any sort of delay.