1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Digital vs Analog article

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Nov 18, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

2. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Summary: working with high end gear in high end studios with pro players and pro technicians with a decent budget and days to record = sounds good no matter what format you choose.
  3. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I can't believe people are still doing comparisons like this. The war is over! Digital won and rightfully so.

I think we should compared 1080p HD to a black and white tv from the '70s to see which one people prefer.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Try telling that to studios that still continue to use radio station compressors from the 50s and 60s.

Studio guys are an interesting bunch. You think lots of religious opinions (and I mean bass as a religion) fly around this forum, try going on a recording forum sometime. What a mess.
  6. Chromer

Chromer

To be fair, those old radio compressors give some very unique (and pleasant) distortions which are only just starting to be modelled accurately in software.
  7. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Hmmm. I love my La2a and UA 176 compressors. I have solid audio reasons for that love also. Making music in a computer may work for you guys but I hate it, it kills my workflow and turns production from purely aural to mostly visual. Tedious. The sound can be great in either format, it's the workflow process of making records that is my deciding factor.
  8. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I just want to know can any of you listen to these clips and tell the difference. There is one where I hear noise and that is tape.
  9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

By the time a recording is mixed, compressed, mastered, and compressed yet again for iTunes, much of this debate is academic. People groovin through ear buds won't hear a difference.

PS: That's a cool blog. I looked through some of the other reviews and +1!
  10. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I've seen some of those forums. They are completely ridiculous. People really obsess over minutiae. I have to admit that I bought into some of it for a while. Came to my senses though and my wallet thanks me for it.

On a side note, it's as if there as been no technological progress in the last 50 plus years for these people. I used to play guitar and the height of guitar amplifier technology was apparently back in the 60's. It's all just a rehash of Fender, Marshal, Vox, etc. these days. Nothing really new and innovative.
  11. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Excellent point.
  12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

What's funny is the biggest selling points in the digital world are its' analog emulations.
    I like where things are going, it's getting pretty cool these days.
    I don't miss tape machines, but I sure as hell miss the decision factors they required when tracking, and still miss nice analog consoles- especially for live events.
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Digital has opened up decent quality recording and production to the masses. Or the average musician could go back to trying to record on awful cassette 4 tracks or 8 track reels, rather than 16, 24 or 48 track digital for what amounts the same or less money.
  14. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

To my ears there seems to be a little more bass extension on the digital recordings and much less background noise compared to the analog recording.
  15. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Absolutely correct. Digital medium has no added noise, and is capable of storing information with a much greater frequency response.
  16. seamonkey

seamonkey

It could very well be if you're comparing LP as analog.

There was a 1972 IEC amendment to the RIAA curve to cut rumble from warp and the turntables for LPs. Still debated in audio forums.

With digital there are no warp or turntable rumble that can leak through. No need for extra eq curves to process the audio.

There's no brushes to scrape dust from the LP groove. No angular velocity to worry about EQ on outside versus inside tracks.

It's known that digital can capture 100% of the analog LP. i.e. Audiophiles couldn't tell differences in blind tests of digital recorded LP versus direct LP playback.

There's no reason to over-compress CD quality audio, other than it's a popular thing to do.

It's pretty amazing what can be done cheaply with digital on a home quality PC. Many generations of tracks, bouncing and mixing, with no unwanted noise build up :)
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

LOL. Bouncing tracks. Haven't even thought about doing that since moving to the digital age. I just group channels then add additional tracks.