Digitech Bass Driver vs Hardwire CM-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jcburn, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jcburn

jcburn

Hi folks - I'm wanting a pedal that can do low level OD, but is primarily going to be used for a distorted/solo type sound that can retain some bottom end.
    The Digitech BD should do the trick but some rate it as a little noisy. But it's distortion right? Always going to be a little noisy. I like the fact it has a clean blend. I don't like the 9 volt access which is how I'm gonna use it initially anyway.
    The reason for the comparison is that lately the CM-2 is getting some love on here and I was wondering if it retains bottom end well while the gain is cranked into distortion territory. I have the cance to pick either up for a decent price.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Don't know anything about the Bass driver but my CM-2 holds the bottom well wiith the gain up...great pedal for the price.

3. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

CM-2 by a mile. The Hardwire pedals are in a different class than Digitech's normal stuff. True bypass switching, and tons of headroom. Digitech pedals are overloaded very easily by a hot signal, but not Hardwires. The CM-2 does not lose low end, and in fact can add some. I personally think it blends some clean in by default, but it's not adjustable.

Another pedal worth looking into for what you're doing (smooth, light OD) is the Way Huge Pork Loin. It's equally stellar, just different. A little darker and less grindy.

4. jcburn

jcburn

Thanks for the answers. I don't think the Pork Loin will get nasty enough for what I need. For low OD they are great - I've tried one. But for cutting distortion not so good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

The Digitech BD is a recent addition for me. I like the fact that it has a multiple personality disorder (morph) in addition to having a clean blend, so tweaking options are bountiful, more so with the tone knob. Decent tone and no low-end issues. Would it satisfy someone who needs to have OD/distortion as a vital part of his tone ? Not sure about that. But for an occasional effect, this pedal does the job at an affordable price. No big noise issue with my unit.

7. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

That pretty much sums up the Loin!

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I have the CM-2 and the Pork Loin. The CM-2 is better for your needs if you want full on nasty distortion. The bass/treble knobs are great too. Though I use mine for guitar, not bass.

9. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

I currently use both the Pork Loin and the CM-2 and have used the Digitech BD in the past. If you have to pick only one, I'd go with the CM-2 based on what you've described you're looking for. But if your budget can afford it, using both the CM-2 and Pork Loin together can give you incredible nastiness.

10. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

I'm curious. I've had the CM-2 for two days. And Im really diggin it. Are most of the bass players on TB using it in modified mode or classic. I kinda like them both. But for that grind/mids tone i think modified works best. It's funny that no one mentions what mode they use when praising this pedal. I'd love to hear. I read some reviews, and im so glad I found one used. It sounds great through the tube pre-amp im using.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I like the modified mode best but the classic mode gives no feedback like the modified does when used with my Sans-amp BDDI. The two together give me a nasty ,grindy distortion that blends well.

12. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

I hear ya. I think I like the modified better too. I'm actually addicted to gain, so I gotta use a Boss NS, otherwise its feedabck all the time. I do shut it off sometimes when feedback is required.
    Anyhow, I do feel that the classic mode is useful as well. I'd compare that to the OD you get from the pork loin. I feel it might be a little better with keeping the low end in the mix.
    There was another thread on the cm-2. Actually its the thread that made me really want it. I believe the guys name was Bongo something. I'd like to hear his opinion on the dif modes. I'm gonna try to find it.

13. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    I'll give this a thunbs up. For the price great tone and very versitile. Like everyone says it holds the bottom end very nicely. Also can double as a gain pedal if you don't have one - which I like and I really like the feedback it produces with my epi Casady.

14. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Both pedals have the same batter compartment access method.