1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Digitech Bass Synth Wah pedal: problem (pedal switches off by itself)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bopnc, Aug 16, 2013.

1. bopnc

bopnc

Hi,
    I have been reading these forums since months and found a lot of useful information. I finally decided to sign in, because I have a little problem and I can't find any solution elsewhere.

I have bought a Digitech Bass Synth Wah pedal and I have the following problem: once I turn the pedal on, it suddenly switches off by itself after some time. The red led blinks a couple of times then it turns off and the effect turns off as well. I can turn on the effect again, but it would eventually switch off by itself again after some time.

I am using a 5 meter cable from my bass to the jack in and come out with a cable to my effect chain using the Out 1 (normal dry). I am also powering the pedal with a Carl Martin Pro Power supply (9V DC with 150mA). I tried to change the cables, as well as the power supply cables but the problem persists. The footswitch and the spring work fine.
    The pedal worked fine when I powered it with a battery, so I first thought it could be the external power supply, but this works perfectly fine with any other pedals (with exact same cables).

I have contacted Digitech support per mail and they suggested me to contact their distributor for service options. I have also googled this problem (both in talk bass forums and on the net) but didn't find anything related to a similar problem. I asked some friends and they all think the pedal is broken/defective.

Before I throw the pedal away and buy a new one, I would like to know if anyone who is using this pedal had the same issue. Am I doing anything wrong? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post.
    Boris
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Hmm, Im not sure, but it sounds like the power supply might be coming loose.
    You say it works fine with a battery, correct?
    Ive had something similar happen, but it was caused by me accidentally kicking the power supply plug out of the pedal.
    Maybe your power supply isnt properly fitting into the BSW?
  3. bopnc

bopnc

Hey Matticus,
    thanks for your reply. It works fine with the battery, indeed, but at the same time the power supply works perfectly fine with other pedals (same output and power jack connector)... which brings me to the conclusion that there might be a problem in the pedal, probably somewhere in the AC jack input and circuit.
    oh well, I guess I'll have it changed...
    thanks again!
  4. Stoffie1974

Stoffie1974

Hi there.
    Did you check the mA on your power supply?
    The BSW is a hungry (digital) pedal, it consumes 4.8W !!! (that's a lot for a effect pedal).
    On battery it runs for 4 hours only (alkaline)!!
    Your power supply should be AT LEAST 200mA !
  5. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

There's no way that can be right. P=IV, so at 9 volts you're talking 533 mA. I power mine just fine off of a 100 mA outlet from a Pedal Power unit.