1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Digitech bass synth wah vs q tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

So When I want an envelope filter I want one that's sloppy wet. My q tron is close enough, but I owned the bass synth wah and I seemed to get more wet sounds from it, it was also much cheaper. I think I'm starting to regret selling. Anybody compared these two or know what there talking about?

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I am familiar with the q-tron but I have never owned one myself. I say it does a pretty good job of getting that good funk quack. If only it had a blend...

The bass synth wah is a whole different animal. I didn't much care for the envelope filter settings, myself. Many synth settings were unusable, but if you were careful you could get a few really cool ones. The octaver was ok, too. And for the price, any of those features would be worth having.

Still, I think if all you wanted was the envelope filter sound, you probably made an ok swap. I would have gone for the MXR M82, but that's another kettle of fish.

3. Tony Flow MMMM

Meh a little research still says q tron is wettest of them all.... I'm gonna do a little passive bass testing

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I have a Micro Q Tron and a BSW. IMO, the Q is wetter than the BSW. Only the LP mode is usable on bass, but you can still tweak in really funky sounds out of it. The BSW is a very versatile pedal that I use for filter, filter with octave, octave only and even a synthy fuzz. I've also gone back to it as an auto-wah recently. No matter what I put on my board, this pedal always finds a way to stay in.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tony Flow MMMM

You know what I played with all 4 of my basses. The stingray does not sound good with the q. While the others do :(
    I wondering I made a mistake returning my micro q for the full size because of my stingray.

:(

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Is the Stingray active ?

8. Swift713

Swift713

I found with the Qtron and an active bass I had to switch on the "boost" and then dial back the gain. It was always plenty wet.

9. Tony Flow MMMM

Yes however my flea bass is active and it sounds great,

It sounds like the preamp in the bass acts as a compressor.

10. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    IME the Qtron makes itself known in a mix and the BSW disappears. At least on the settings I was trying to make work.

Also the gain on the Tron needs to be way down with a hot bass to get the best quack (possibly all the way down), especially when it's not in boost mode.

11. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I am a fan of the Mutron. What I've always wanted was one of the BSL filters. If you get one tell me about it.

As far was wet I gotta admit liking the 105Q.