1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Digitech bass whammy.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

I read on a couple different forums back in april that digitech was making a new bass whammy. Does anyone know if this is true and when its planned release date is. There was a thread on here about it and ppl were calling it the green eggs and wham. Not sure if this is true or some rumor but i am very curious about it. Not interested in paying 500+ dollars for a bass whammy on ebay lol. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mike

2. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

[​IMG]

That's the very newest one. There's lots of comparisons on how the whammy II/ IV compare to the Bass Whammy or work on bass in general. They're all probably going to work just as well as you need them to without having to drop major bills on a vintage Bass Whammy.

3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Having the harmony presets that were on the Bass Whammy is a bigger deal than how a certain Whammy model sounds on bass, to me. I broke down and got a Pitchfactor and will never look back, but a new Bass Whammy would be cool. I've had a Whammy IV and a Bass Whammy and there was just something a little better about how the Bass Whammy sounded.

4. Eric!

Eric!

XP-100 has the Harmony +5th/+1oct setting (setting 28)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Musicman1901

Alot of ppl have recommended the pitchfactor to me instead of trying to get ahold of a bass whammy. My main turnoff was the layout of it. It seems complex and it seems like you would often be down on your knees to change presets and settings with your hands whereas the bass whammy can all be done with your foot. You can cycle through the settings with the click of a button. Pitchfactor just seems kind of complex and frustrating. Also by the time you buy it and the expression pedal for it your almost down as much money as you would be picking up a used bass whammy. How would you compare the pitchfactor to the bass whammy having had both? I will be using it in live settings and cannot be fiddling with knobs using my hands i want to be able to change settings on the fly. So i take it this was a rumor about a new bass whammy coming out?

7. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

You don't need to tweak knobs on the Pitchfactor unless you're editing a preset. You can scroll through presets just as easy as with a Whammy, if not easier because of the ability to group your presets how YOU want and not have any that you don't like/use.
    The Pitchfactor also gives you a lot more control and customizability, even if you're just using it like a Whammy. Create your own harmony/pitch-shift settings, use up to four voices, add delay, or utilize all the other stuff that the pedal can do.

It does take some time to create your presets, but when that's done it's just a matter of scrolling through them. I recommend the Ernie Ball VP Jr. 25k for an expression pedal, though there are others that work fine too.

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

What about an M5 and an expression pedal? Any whammy or harmony setting you want in a 4 octave range plus a ton of other effects. 24 presets, and foot switchable.

9. Musicman1901

The pitchfactor does sound like it can do alot and i will defiantly consider it as an option. Once you have your presets you can scroll through them with a footswitch then correct? How do the digitech whammy guitar pedals sound on bass if anyone has used them?

10. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Right. It's a lot like the Bass Whammy in that you can only scroll in one direction, but it's also a lot faster because each bank has two presents (right footswitch scrolls through banks, middle and left footswitches select preset 1 or 2 for the bank you're in) so you technically can scroll through them twice as fast. You can also set how many banks you want to use (you can have up to 50 although I only use 5) so again you don't have to waste time scrolling through anything that you never use.

The Whammy IV sounded less bassy and full compared to the Bass Whammy, but the Pitchfactor sounds just as good and tracks a lot better.

11. fasto

fasto

I think a new bass whammy sounds like a rumor ... there is no "real" market for it. Same with Akai Deep Impact or UniBass.

I have that old bass whammy, but to be honest i don´t use it very much, it´s more like a collectors item to me.

12. tomsgandl

tomsgandl

I am the original owner of a bass whammy that is in great shape. I am selling mine for $800. Will also consider trades for a left handed j bass. Pm me if interested.

13. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I don't wanna be "that guy",but you need to get the supporting membership to post ads. ;)

14. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Just want to add that you can also scroll down through banks if you add an aux footswitch and assign one of the presets that way.

15. Musicman1901

Exactly! 800?! Im not trying to like be a jerk but where are ppl coming up with these figures. What makes that whammy worth 800. It was probably 200 when it came out. The pitchfactor can do everything the whammy can do plus way more and its only 500. I feel like the whammy is overprices because of all the chancellor fans. Same as the akai deep impact because of wolstenholme. Why are people paying 750 for a pedal like that. Again i'm not trying to like call you out on your price because honestly somebody probably would pick it up from you if you put it on ebay I just don't understand how ppl are spending this kind of cash on those 2 pedals

16. fasto

fasto

17. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

That might be true, but as I pointed out in another thread, I think people are overestimating the H9 a little bit. It only comes loaded with a tiny fraction of the Pitchfactor's effects (2 out of the 10 modes)---you would specifically need to buy the Pitchflex for Whammy stuff.

18. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

I think you hit the nail on the head with both of those statements. Supply and demand is weird thing. Kind of makes you wonder why DigiTech or Akai haven't reintroduced versions of these pedals ... or perhaps the apparent demand is mostly a TB thing and the rest of the world could care less about them.

19. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

I think that might be true but I also think that given the popularity of "signature" models of everything these days, I woldn't be surprised to see a Justin Chancellor Signature Bass Whammy some day. Some tool would certainly buy it... [see what I did there?]

20. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

Very punny. LOL

21. taurus1

taurus1

the Whammy II and the new V are both amazing on bass