1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Digitech BP355 multi effects - patience is the key

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RaginRog, Dec 29, 2013.

1. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

I have had one for awhile and have always had decent results while using it for practice and recording but I've never used it in a band setting. I've been frustrated with the choices overdrive pedals available and recently sold my sansamp bddi and A full tone OCD pedal as well as a boss overdrive pedal. However I have been very happy with my Catalinbread SFT pedal but I use that primarily with my classic rock band, and it doesn't work all that well with the Alice in chains cover band that I'm also in. The Sansamp was decent in that situation but I found that it was a little too scooped sounding for my taste and therefore I decided to set have a couple of settings on the Digitech BP 355 as a means of mimicking the Sansamp bddi. I also wanted to set up at least 10 of my own presets with even volumes so that I wouldn't have so many volume spikes like it had with the factory presets. I grabbed my Jazz bass, and plugged the BP355 into my LM Tube 800 and 2 hours later I came up with 13 of my own presets. A couple are variations of what the Sansamp sounds like, as well as some SVT settings with high gain and lower gain options. This pedal shines as an SVT amp modeler, but the effects are guitar effects and either cause a loss of low end or sound absolutely cheesy. For $199'new, it can mimic a Sansamp bddi fairly well, and if you stick to using it as a modeler, the EQ, stick to distortion in moderation, and invest some time the BP 355 isn't bad at all.

Video Links- The first is mainly pick playing and the 2nd video is more finger style. Use headphones as the volume isn't very loud.

2. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

I have a Digitech BP90 and had a similar experience. I purchased my pedal several months ago and it mostly sat in a drawer.

One day I decided to test it out and see if I could setup my own presets. My goal was to produce clean sounds with different amp emulation, moderate EQ tweaks and add some compression. Basically I just wanted some variety to my sound and equipment. I was amazed by the different sounds I could get out of my modest amp. I was able to produce sounds and colors that I couldn't get with just the amp controls.

For Christmas I got a TC Electronics BG250-210. I moved my presets around on the BP90 and made room for some new presets. My favorite one is an Ampeg SVT emulation. It's a very fat sound.

Overall I am pleased with the versatility of this pedal.

3. RaginRog

I can't believe I overlooked it for so long. It absolutely rivals the Sansamp bddi that I had tonally, although I don't know how well it serves as a di. I also have a Boss LMB-3 limiter that I run it through to ensure there are no volume or gain spikes.

4. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

I setup the BP90 with an Ashdown emulation for my Hartke kickback. I used it for a gig and it sounded great. It added some serious thump to the small combo. I ran wires on stage from the amp under my chair so that I could use it as an actual pedal. It was a very small stage and I ended up playing footsie with the wires and made a pedestrian hazard for everyone else walking on stage. That being said, I did have the forethought to add NEON orange duct tape around the edges of the pedal so that it could be seen easily.

I bought a 2' cable and I'm sitting it on top of the amp from now on. Since I'm not using it as a pedal, I've considered purchasing some small amp emulator box to set on top of my amp. With the BP90 working so well it just seems like a waste of money.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RaginRog

Ahh cool. I don't think anyone will believe us unless we post sound clips. I plan on recording a vid Wednesday when I have off.