Digitech Istomp Users

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Twocanbassman, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/istomp

With 47 different pedals avail, there's a lot to talk about. What pedals / settings are you using?

I found yesterday that on the Dirty Robot, by turning the envelope and filter all the way down, the pedal doubles as an octave pedal (like the Digitech BSW), only that you can adjust the volume of the sub octave with the Mix control. I'm digging it with the mix at 9 O'clock. Less synthy than the OC2 and seems to track better

Also, you can get addl labels here:
    http://www.digitech.com/epedal_labels/new/ce-chorus?locale=en-US
    psp742 likes this.
  2. EthanTheHeathen

EthanTheHeathen

Thanks for the tip on the labels. Also, thanks for the Dirty Robot tip. I also like using the Xul as a sub octave, but cutting out the fuzz reall brings down the level.
  3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

LOVING My iStomps. I've got one using the Dirty Robot and another (following it) using Angelic Choir. Great tip on the labels too, I just got mine!
  4. EthanTheHeathen

EthanTheHeathen

Angelic choir is really cool. I haven't tried the overdrives with bass yet, but they sounded awesome on guitar, way better than I expected.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RobertUI

Here's my fun board, which usually sits on my desk while I work out tunes. Too much fun!

[​IMG]
  7. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

Wow... cool board. I'm trying to decide if I'd ever need the ability to just swap out pedal programs... still cool.
  8. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, how did you get the pedals on your board? I can't get Velcro to stick on the bottom of mine.
  9. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

4 of the single iStomp packs I bought came with 3M precut male velcro bottoms you could stick on right from the factory. They're really high quality and perfectly shaped. The first three I bought that came with the PS and Comm Cable didn't have them. I'd suggest using rubbing alcohol on the rubber bottom right before you stick a fresh strip of Velcro tape on there.
  10. RobertUI

That's awesome that they came with that! I have to be honest... mine are just sitting on the board. The other pedals are velcro, so it all stays in place (again this is board #3 and it stays on the desk). I mainly use this fun board for testing purposes, but I imagine I'll have a little trouble, but plan to try with rubbing alcohol.
  11. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

The factory velcro wouldn't stick to the rubber either!!! I had to remove the stock rubber first, then the velcro stuck to the metal chassis no problem. Just an FYI.

I really like the Sparkle Drive for Bass!!! The clean blend allows me to set the exact same sound as my bass but with some distortion added to it. I use this pedal every time my guitarist takes a rock solo to simulate a rythim guitarist in the mix. It works great.

I've also been really impressed with all the delays and reverbs as they're stereo and work exceptionally well with my p.a. in the fx loop used for vocals.

My sax player loves the tracking on all the octave pedals and is particularly fond of the Swing Shift. Actually, for bass they track better than my Aguilar and MXR BOD. The octave effects make our lonely sax guy sound like a full horn section. Since that particular project is a funk band he also loves the Envelope Filter with clean blend for his funky melodies. The delays and reverbs serve the sax well as they thicken up his sound and give it some dimension.

I'm really happy with the quality of the effects in the Stomp Shop!
  12. RobertUI

The Swing Shift is awesome. I haven't tried it for bass yet, but I know what I'll be doing this evening! :) I have this itching desire to pick up a couple more pedals, as I'm finding them more useful than the one trick ponies I have.
  13. EthanTheHeathen

EthanTheHeathen

I was disappointed that the Swing Shift didn't have more girth to it. I do need to explore it a bit more though.
  14. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Yeah. You should play with it a bit more. It's weird because there is no clean volume control so IME the key is to not increase any of the knobs past noon so you can maintain your clean as a big part of the sound.

I can see how you experienced a lack of girth though because it doesn't provide a significant boost to your signal.

I really only use the lowest octave with a bit of 5th in there to taste. The other two upper octaves sound really synthy which may have its use but not for me at this time.
  15. Atlanta Dave

Atlanta Dave Supporting Member

I tried out the Sparkle Drive last night and the distortion really sounds sweet in a band setting. It's cleaner than the XUL, because the XUL adds an octave change that sometimes can muddy up the lows in a mix. Both sound great on their own.
  16. DigiTechRep

DigiTechRep

This is how it is meant to work, just take the rubber off the pedal.

Just FYI, Jason Isbell's bassist Jimbo uses an iStomp loaded with the Woodside Compressor as his main compressor. If you've been looking for a clean dbx 160 style comp, that is the guy.

And thanks for the iStomp love everybody!
  17. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    To DigitechRep - how do the iStomp algorithms compare to those in the GSP1101? I have an iStomp that I haven't used much and just received a GSP1101 last night. Dug into it pretty hard and I think it's going to fit seamlessly into the rest of my rig so I'm very excited about that. I noticed there are some effects on the iStomp that aren't in the GSP1101, but other than that - is the processing power similar? I feel like the OC-2 model on the iStomp tracked a little better than the GSP - at least at first blush and going off memory. Interested to know how they differ under the hood.

Not meaning to derail this thread - so we can chat offline.
  18. DigiTechRep

DigiTechRep

The best way to describe the difference is that we use pretty much the same base algorithms in most of our stuff but the number of tweakable parameters available to both us and the user increases as you increase processor power. So since the iStomp uses an entire DNA2 to process single FX algorithms it offers the most detailed FX we offer. For a specific example, let's use the Lexicon reverb; both the 1101 and the iStomp have Lexicon reverbs, but if you compare them side-by-side you can definitely hear a difference between the two. The iStomp has more processing power devoted to the algorithm and therefore we have more parameters available to better shape the sound of the reverb.
    psp742 and coughiefiend like this.
  19. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

Been playing with my iStomp a lot lately. Every day I use it I become more impressed. I DO wish I could use it with my 'droid, I'm getting tired of borrowing my son's iPod :)
  20. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I've bone using the Small Stone setting a lot at home - nice phaser!
  21. Atlanta Dave

Atlanta Dave Supporting Member

I've got the Glimmer Drive dialed in for some grit and fuzz. When my band plays as a three piece instead of a four, it adds a whole lot of depth. Funny thing is, our guitar player just bought a Sparkle Drive. My guess is the Glimmer is DigiTech's Sparkle, but better.