1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Digitech Whammy 5 as an Octaver (octave down)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by animvl, Feb 2, 2013.

1. animvl

animvl

I'm interested in the new Whammy for it's wide range of features, but first and foremost I'm looking for an octaver pedal and if it doesn't do that well I shall look elsewhere.

Anybody have relevant experiences? Or perhaps one lying around which they can test?

I went to my local(ish) music shop today with intent to try it myself, but I was very disappointed to find they didn't have one. They've gone through a massive downsizing and they no longer have the extensive range of pedals they seemed to have.

Thanks
  2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

I've tried the new Whammy V both on bass and guitar (not a guitar player but I dabble from time to time)....honestly as an octaver not a fan. It lacked character, and yes I know its digital, but to me my EHX HOG and its octave abilities has character.
  3. andvari7

andvari7

I've used the Whammy IV in that capacity. It, too, suffers as an octaver. I'd like to try the HOG 2, but they don't seem to exist, outside of the Sweetwater catalog. I do not like to buy untested effects pedals from catalogs (though, I did buy the ClusterFlux from Sweetwater, and would use it on my board, if I had one assembled; I can't play plugged in nights or weekends, because I've had small children in my house for the last month), but I don't see many other options.
  4. animvl

animvl

I thought it might lack character. The rest of the features might be a little distracting too, I'm probably best off with a dedicated octave pedal. Thanks guys.
  5. taurus1

taurus1

as a Whammy V user, I might as well chime in.
    I was using the Whammy II (amazing) for over a decade, I wore out the switches and needed to replace.
    I bought the Whammy V and couldn't be happier.
    it tracks amazingly well, the chord mode is simple unbelievable, the oct up and down tones to me, are incredibly good.
    they nailed it with this pedal, the only thing that i wish it had was a volume knob, sometimes depending on your octave selection, you may want more or less volume. I got around this by placing in a Boss LS-2 loop.
    I think it's perfect otherwise.
    I'm the opposite of other posters here, I think the Pog sounds really odd, great for organ tones though.
  6. Andy Will

Andy Will

+1

Have been a long time Whammy user and the 5th generation is the best yet. Not had any volume issues, but in certain situations could imagine a volume increase or decrease would be useful.
    The Whammy V tracks like a dream on classic for fast monophonic lines, while for slower and chordal playing, the polyphonic is very inspiring.

If you don't need polyphonic, the line 6 M series is my second choice, followed by the Eventide Pitchfactor (for my requirements). While the Micropog is very tinny sounding to my ears.
  7. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

I have an XP100 Whammy/Wah, and I use it for the times I need octave-down as well. I guess people don't think the whammy's have "character" but it tracks miles better than any other monophonic octaver I've ever played.
  8. animvl

animvl

I'd just changed my mind and was looking at the aguilar... now, thanks to you guys supporting the Whammy, I'm back on the Whammy as well! I wonder if any shops locally have a range for me to try including the Whammy 5 and Aguilar. I'm heading to Hong Kong in a couple of days, I'll check there.
  9. HerrK

HerrK

I am thinking bout divebombish Sounds. Does anyone use the whammy or the ps-5 w. Expression? If so, I'd like to hear it, I cant find any vids.