Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Hi everyone,
    Christmas is coming up, and I have the potential to get one of two basses:
    1. Squier Affinity P-bass
    2. SbMM SUB Ray4

I already have a Mexican Jazz, and am heavily into The Clash and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love the tone I'm getting from the Jazz, and am unsure if I should get a P-bass or a Musicman. I'd be happy with either, but I don't know which one is a better choice.

Can anyone tell me the ratio in terms of quality between these basses and their American-made counterparts?
    e.g. Squier:MIA - 4:10.

Thanks
  2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

It's impossible to give a real quality ratio - or if someone did, it'd be very subjective.

If price is an indicator of quality, the Ray wins. You could get a better Squier P for the same price.

Obvious question, but have you played either of them yet?
  3. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

I have played both but it's been some time since I have and I don't remember the feel for them. I'm going to the shop tomorrow and (maybe) making a purchase, so I'll see.
    And I am looking for subjective responses. I don't mind.
  4. happyg

happyg

If you are into the RHCP and like the Flea tone...then the Ray is the way to go. Quality wise.......and this is very subjective the Ray wins based on various models I have played around with in stores. For the money, I think the Ray is the better buy. Good luck.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SoVeryTired

Well, subjectively, I'd say get the Ray. I love the P sound, but the Ray should be a better quality bass. And if you don't like it, you could sell it and buy a new Squier with the proceeds!
  7. SoVeryTired

Have you looked at the Vintage Modified P Basses? They should be more of a comparable quality and price to the Ray.
  8. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

This is what I thought when I saw the options.

To the OP, the VM or CV Squiers are great, but you'll probably be able to play what you want and you'll know what sounds and feels good in your hands. But if the only Squier option really is the Affinity, go for the Ray.
  9. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

subray4 pls. if it's the squier, i will not go for the affinity but a cv p instead(i.m.h.o)