Dilemma

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ChadonBass, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ChadonBass

ChadonBass Supporting Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but here it goes.

I have 2 basses. A spector rebop and an LTD PJ, both of which are 4 sting. I also have 2 bands. One is a classic/modern rock and country band and the other is a heavier modern rock vibe. Both are in relatively the same state, music-wise.

My dilemma is that the Spector sounds so much better than the LTD (huge difference, build-wise, not the manufacturer's fault), that both bands are hoping for my spector tone. The LTD does come close with their tone-boost, but its still not a spector.

Classic band is in E standard. Heavy band is in drop C. Both would prefer the Spector sound.

Is there a chance, without adjustments every week, to have my spector be able to cover both grounds?

Thanks in advance,
    Chad

2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

You could get a low B string and tune the Spector B-E-A-D and then it could cover both bands.

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

This. String it BEAD and tune up a half step for the drop C band (if necessary; you can certainly play in C on a B stringed bass but if you use lots of open strings, tuning up would be easier)

That is, if you can do without the G string. Another problem would be small intonation problems, but I have no experience with that as I stay in one tuning usually.

4. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Trade the LTD for another Spector.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

This^^

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi Chad, yeah, this is the wrong forum and your thread would mostly likely get more traction (replies) on the correct forum, but what the heck. Anyway, good luck and best wishes.

8. ChadonBass

ChadonBass Supporting Member

BEAD seems the way to go for now. For some reason I didn't even think of just tuning everything up a half a step for one of the bands. Thanks for the replies.

9. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Why bother tuning up? Do you play lots of open strings? I guess I can see it then. I try avoid using open strings because I have to transpose so often.