1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DiMarzio Area J Pot Recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wallofbasses, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Wallofbasses

Wallofbasses

Just got these pickups off of the Classifieds and am eager to put them in my 1982 Squier JV Jazz Bass. I'm looking for a classic blues/rock tone and am wondering about the best options for the rest of the electronics. I did read in a thread about Model J's that 500 k pots were recommended, linear taper for the volumes and audio taper for the tone. Would it be the same for the Area J's?
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

worth a try, might be a little bright with everything full-up; you can always nudge the tone knob down a little to get back in vintage territory.
  3. Wallofbasses

Wallofbasses

Thanks for the input. My number one bass right now is a G&L SB2, so I thought 500k on the Jazz (my number two bass) might give me an expanded tonal range -- not as hot an output, but more tonal possibilities. As long as that tone pot can tame things, I should be okay. Anyone tried 500k pots on the Area J's?
  4. screaminglucy

screaminglucy Supporting Member

I used 250k pots with the area j. The reason 500k is recommended for the model j is that is a very dark sounding pickup. The area j sounds more like a typical vintage j pickup (not as dark) so 500k is not as important but try it and see...
  5. Wallofbasses

Wallofbasses

Good point, Lucy. After doing a bit more research, I'm inclined just to wire in the pickups with the stock electronics (250k pots which seem to work fine) and call it a day. A lot easier given the level of my soldering skills and probably more like the sound I'm going for anyways. BTW looking forward to the pickups. Thanks.