1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Dimarzio Area PJ Set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shock me, Dec 15, 2013.

1. shock me

shock me

Anyone have experience with the set ? (area dp251). The set is not pictured on Dimarzio's site but it is available on master list with prices. I am considering these for a 1992 Fender P-Bass Plus.

2. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I just had the Dimarzio Area P+J set installed in an Ash ESP LTD Vintage 214 bass I recently won on Ebay.

They are a big improvement over the stock pickups, and they balance very well with each other.

I stayed with the original volume pots (I think 250k) but put a .022 capacitor on the tone pot.

The LTD Vintage was a budget purchase and does not have shielding, but I haven't yet noticed any noise.

I might have it shielded in the future, especially if I put on a Warmoth J neck and start taking it out.

I also replaced the LTD high mass bridge with a vintage Fender threaded saddle model.

If you are looking for an affordable PJ set with vintage flavor, I recommend you consider these pickups.

Note that the stock LTD P pickup was a little longer than the Dimarzio Area P and required a slight re-drill of the 4 pickup mounting holes to center the P pickup.

The Area J bridge pickup required no modifications or re-drill.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  3. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

How does the Area P sound on its own?

4. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

IMO, it sounds "vintage good" like an older P bass, warm and smooth.

It's not a loud, edgy pickup (neither is the Area J) but I really like both.

I think the Dimarzio description is accurate:

"This set is the complete package, teaming up the Area P Pickup with the Area J Pickup.

The DP250 Area P 4-string Pickup from DiMarzio has everything you're looking for in a great vintage sound. It's a nice warm tone with awesome sustain.

With the Area J you get a pickup that has a precise attack, with a tone that hits in the center. It has clean, clear lows and silky, open highs.

The Area J Bridge pickup is designed to fit the original Fender Jazz Bass, which has different sized cavities for the bridge and neck pickups. Make sure to reference the dimensions of your bass when making your selection.

It has reduced pull thanks to its' Alnico II Magnets, which you can wire in either series or parallel humbucking depending on what you're looking for."

I have used a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage P with STK-J2 Hot Stack J bridge in 2 other PJ basses, and that combo sounds great as well.

To me, the SD Vintage P sounds like a "new" vintage P pickup would sound, where the Dimarzio Area P sounds more "used".

The Dimarzio Area J sounds more like an older single coil than the SD Hot Stack, but I'm a fan of both.

I've always used 500k volume pots and Fender TBX tone control with the SD PJ pickups I mentioned, and I'm sure that has some influence on the tones.

I have never used the EMG Geezer pickups, but they seem to have many fans lately as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

here is the p/j set
    [​IMG]

and the Area P DP250
    [​IMG]

acebase62 likes this.