Dimarzio DP123 (Model J) Vol/Vol/Tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kazkazumikazuma, Feb 26, 2013.

1. kazkazumikazuma

kazkazumikazuma

tbh, I dont know anything about wiring. I was wondering if anyone could show me a vol/vol/tone wiring for the dimarzio Model J pickup set. I know that single coils have a hot and a ground wire, but since the model J has 4 wires coming from each pickup, I'm extremely confused. Again, I know that i sound completely stupid, but i have no bass right now, so all of your help is appreciated :D thank you!
  2. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

3. cjp3044

cjp3044

Disclosures:
    Part time guitar and amp tech at the Tone Shop
    I don't remember the exact coloring scheme from Dimarzio, but basically you're going to tie some wires together - unless you want to add a switch to tap the pickups, which I don't think you're wanting to do from the sound of your post. Just check the dimarzio website, I am quite sure they have colored wiring diagrams for various ways to install the pickups - just choose the V/V/T option and follow the diagram. It's not very complicated, so don't worry too much about it, it's a great feeling to do your own work on your instrument.
  4. cjp3044

cjp3044

Disclosures:
    beat me to it :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cjp3044

cjp3044

Disclosures:
  7. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce

You need to follow the WRITTEN instructions at this link:

The diagram located there and that plankspanker posted are NOT what you want. They are intended for use w/ push/pull pots on each Volume to incorporate series/parallel and phase switching.

Trust me, I installed these pick ups on Sunday.

Rob
    :bassist:
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

just find a standard jazz bass diagram!

on each dimarzio, the black and white wires get soldered together, taped off, then forgotten.

red is hot, green is ground, do the rest just like any regular jazz pickup.
  9. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

I just installed a set on my jazz bass and it was really easy. You just unsolder the existing pickup wires and solder in the new pickup wires place of them. Then you solder the new pickups extra wires together. It makes sense when you're looking at it and reading the instructions.
  10. redielg

redielg

i have a set installed currently. vol vol tone is how i got it.