1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DiMarzio DP126 set - Microphonic?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by moishelichtfuss, Sep 10, 2013.

1. moishelichtfuss

moishelichtfuss

Hi, I have an odd problem.

I recently installed a DiMarzio DP126 PJ-Set in an old P-Bass. I'm not a wizard at soldering, but that's usually a level of sophistication I can handle.

The problem: The pickups are extremely sensitive, especially when amplified a little more by an Overdrive-pedal or somesuch. When I'm not playing, I can actually hear the screeching caused by the leather-strap on the body and get a sound from tapping on the knobs etc. There are no odd hum-issues otherwise.

I'm guessing this is not normal. What could it be? What could I do?

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

One or several covers are loose or something is making contact with the poles that should not be.. I've owned the same set of pups (great pups) and had that issue (a little less severe) with the J pup. Pull the pups out of the bass then make sure the covers are securely attached to the pickups. When you put them back in make sure there's no excess wires that could tap against the bottom of the pup hanging around in the pickup cavity.

Honestly I did have that problem but one of the times I pulled it out to rewire something it fixed it. I assumed it was because I somehow got the cover to sit more securely than it did before.

3. Technotitclan

Also it could be the foam your using. See about using different foam.

4. moishelichtfuss

moishelichtfuss

Thank you for the vey quick reply!

I've tried all of this, but there hasn't been any change.

The wires all run nicely past the sides of the pickups and there doesn't seem to be anything loose or disjointed about the pickups themselves. I didn't have any other foam, so I "substituted" with other materials (like toilet paper :)) for testing purposes.

Still the same phenomenon. Tapping on the body and/or the pots (as well as the pickups themselves of course) is definitely amplified and coming through the speakers. Not a practice-volume at home, but definitely at band-practice volume.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. moishelichtfuss

moishelichtfuss

Additionally I just noticed that the bass-side of the J-pickup (which is a split single-coil afaik) buzzes when touching the polepieces.

Both pickups however do the microphonic-thing.

7. Technotitclan

I believe that is normal

8. moishelichtfuss

moishelichtfuss

Yip, that part doesn't bother me much. I thought it might be an indicator for something else being wrong, though.

9. Technotitclan

In my experience microphonic pickups are due to something that touches the coil or poles being loose and vibrating.

10. moishelichtfuss

moishelichtfuss

I'll have to check once again.

What's interesting too is that both pickups are doing it.

11. moishelichtfuss

moishelichtfuss

So...not wanting to pry, but are there any other ideas about what may be causing this?

I did some research, but haven't found anyone having similar problems with these pickups. Plus the fact that they're both behaving exactly the same is kind of odd.