Dimarzio DP127 vs Delano PMVC 4 FE/M2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deluxejusa, Dec 16, 2012.

1. deluxejusa

deluxejusa

I am looking to upgrade my pbass pickups. I want a more modern sound that lets the highs ring out. Just wonder what people think of the two pickups mentioned in the title. From their product descriptions they are both split humbucker style pickups. Looking to hear from guys with experience, as there aren't too many sound clips of either pickup. Thanks!

2. awamori

awamori

I have both in a few of my main and backup basses.

The DiMarzio Model P in my backup Squier Vintage Modified Jag Special and VM P has a lot of low end punch with a middy grind. If you will a hotter and improved version of the Fender Precision pickup.

On the hand is the Delano PMVC 4FE/M2 is the direct opposite of that Model J in that it has good low end, clean mids, and a snappy high end. Similar to the MM pickups found in the Stingray basses. IMHO it hates flats like no other Precision pickup unlike the Model P which loves em.

EDIT:I forgot to mention that the PMVC 4FE/M2's are in my MIA Standard P and Aerodyne P.

3. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

That's why the Dimarzio P didn't work for me... middy grind. why anyone (who plays live) wouldn't want nice clear mids is beyond me... but that makes the 'world go round.' Absolutely love my Delano P.

:hyper:

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I did a pretty huge write up on the Delano's awhile back. You should look it up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NoisyFroggy

NoisyFroggy

I have no experience with the DP127, but I cannot say enough good hings about the Delano.

If you like clarity, punch, and stingray-like attack blended with P-bass's trademark weight and warmth, I believe it is the ticket.

I put mine in a squier amber vm p-bass, and it has since become my go-to bass.

I would of course qualify the delano as "modern", but you can achieve (IMHO) classic p-bass sounds by rolling the tone down, thereby dulling the attack somewhat.

7. shwashwa

shwashwa

can you link it? cant seem to find it