1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dimarzio Model J Problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stugotz, Nov 16, 2012.

1. stugotz

stugotz Supporting Member

Ok, I just installed the model j's in my 2005 Geddy Lee. I wired them as the instruction sheet suggested. I lost that bright "round" sound that I had with my stock pups. I play through a GK MB500 into a Hydrive 410. GHS Boomers. Is this normal for.the Model J's? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. slend3r

slend3r

If I remember correctly the instructions have you wire them in series, which does make them sound a little "darker". Try wiring them in parallel, should help with the brightness.
  3. stugotz

Thanks. What would be the procedure for that?
  4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    For parallel, connect the red and white together, and these are the hot connection. Connect green and black together, and connect to ground.

The Model J was designed to give a thicker tone than the stock pickups.

You will need to change the EQ on your amp for the new pickups.
  5. stugotz

Thanks. The instructions I followed was "series" Ill try parallel tomorrow. I think the Ultra J's may be a better choice for me.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

if you liked the tone of the stock geddys but are just trying to get rid of hum, then the area Js are what you actually want.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I find the Model J's considerably darker than vintage style J pickups no matter how they're wired. I enjoy them for certain things, though. A very balls pickup.
  8. Lee H

Lee H

I have the ultra Js in my frankenjazz. I really like them, but they are not for everyone. They will not deliver the sound of the original Geddy Lee pups.
    they have their own sound. I have heard them described as sounding slightly overdriven. I wasn't sure I agreed with that, at the time, but I do not know of a better way to describe it
  9. stugotz

Thank you Gentlemen. I have ordered the Ultra's and the Area's. Guess Im gonna have my own J-Bass shootout. PM me if anyone wants the Model J's. Gonna let em go cheap.
  10. stugotz

Well just put the stock pups back in and there is that bright round tone I love. Ultras and areas on the way. The next chapter begins...
  11. Lee H

Lee H

good luck with your shootout... I am sure I am not the only one who would like to hear updates on your results...

sound is subjective so what one person likes another will not. Still it is cool to hear other opinions
  12. stugotz

Ultra J'z just arrived, hopefully I can get them in before I go on the air at 8. If not tomorrow for an update!

wrn23internetradio.com
  13. stugotz

Ok here goes, quick install and the first hit of the A string I knew I was gonna like these. Nice brilliant "round" sound. Good bottom and excellent mids. I scoop my mids with my GK so thats my preference. I found myself playing Goldilox, YYZ, Vital Signs, even Lady Evil..... I like em, Area J's comin tomorrow, who knows?
  14. ojo

ojo Supporting Member

I have a love/hate thing with the Model J's. I love the thick, powerful, beefy tone, but hate the lack of highs. I have Area J's in my fretless, and I like them quite a bit. Totally different animal.
  15. Fuzz Aldrin

Fuzz Aldrin Supporting Member

Yeah, I find the Model Js are thicker and darker sounding, wired in series. I still have 250 pots in my passive jazz though. While I don't mind the darker tone, I'm thinking of changing the pots to 500s to brighten it up a little. Maybe I'll add a push pull for series/parallel switching. I like Model Js, but they are definitely not for everyone.
  16. stugotz

Really lovin the Ultra's still gonna pop in the Area's tonite.
  17. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

I actually really love the Model Js in my Geddy, but I'd like to try Dimarzio's other hum cancelling model (Area J?) sometime too. Let me know what you think of them!
  18. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I have Model J's in my frankenbass, I love them. I wouldn't bother with the series/parallel switch, all that seems to do is drop the lows and highs, leaving a very midrange sound. Kind of like the sound Jeff Berlin used in this intro. I only did the change on the bridge pickup so YMMV. I'm going to leave the mod, but I doubt I'll use it much.
  19. stugotz

Ok, Area J's are in and sound awesome! Just a little less bright than the Ultra's. Much closer to the stock Fender Jazz pups, but hotter. More punchy mids. They might be stayin in....
  20. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

Can you compare them to the Model J's? I'm assuming they are a lot brighter, but do they still have some of the same aggressiveness?