1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dimarzio model j : series vs parallel wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sadowskyguy, Mar 8, 2014.

1. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy Supporting Member

Hello talk bass,

I've installed the Dimarzio Model Js and am pretty happy with them. However, I can not find any wiring diagram for series vs parallel, and I'm not sure which I have done. I've looked on the Dimarzio site, TB search function, and the web in general. Can someone provide a diagram? From what I've read on here, I believe series is what I will most likely want.

BTW: I have a stacked pot setup , a fender avri 62 jazz. I used the diagram from Dimarzio but it doesn't specify series or parallel.

All help is appreciated! Thanks

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

3. line6man

line6man

It is very rare for humbuckers to be wired for parallel coils, without there being a switch to give both options. MM pickups are the only pickups that come to mind. Standard wiring for DiMarzio pickups is for series coils.

4. vin*tone

vin*tone

Series will give you a much hotter bassier tone - The neck can sound very P bass-ish.
    I used to have a push-pull switch with my model Js and preferred parallel FWIW.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    on a split coil style (J and P) I would agree, but there are plenty of dual coil wired in parallel by "default" on bass (guitars are a different thing):
    like you mention musicman, Sadowsky soapbar dc hardwired parallel, Ken Smith dc parallel, lots of foderas dc are parallel, EMGs dc (emgs are a different animal because of the built in preamp, tho), old Tobias's dc bart, some delanos (just off the top of my head)….

7. sadowskyguy

Thanks everyone! Great info all around. I had them in series, which is perfect. TB is always loaded with info :)

8. sadowskyguy

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394408761.516794.jpg

Just for kicks, here's the photo of the new pups (also new pick guard) the pepperoni pg was bothering me...

9. sadowskyguy

FYI: I talked with a guy today at Dimarzio, and he said that the pickup height they recommend starting with is the fender website setup recommendations for "vintage pup" height (really distance from pole pice to string). He said after that use your ears of course.

I figured I would add this in case anyone did any searching down the road.

10. MIMike

MIMike

I have the same pickups in my AVRI and love them...for more than 25 years now.
    Sorry, I don't remember how they're wired. I'm not much help I guess.