Dimarzio model J series wiring. worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tomersg, Feb 2, 2014.

1. tomersg

tomersg

I have the dimarzio model j pickups and wonder if the optional serial wiring with push pull knob worth the extra work?
    thanks.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

might be a bit dark, 4 coils in a row all series;

a good trick would be to wire each pickup parallel with itself, then wire the pair in series with each other.

you get the fatness without the overwhelming mud.
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Yeah, what Walter said. I have this very configuration in a Carvin LB70 fretless, and it's phat, powerful, and authoritative.

In my opinion, you can't realize the full potential of the Model J without series wiring. Worth it for sure.

MM
  4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I have a set of model Js in a Fretless jazz with a retro j preamp. If I were to install them passive in a bass , series / parallel for sure, like my passive Fretless j with SCN pickups.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Torkk

Torkk

Is there schematic around for this?
  7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage. Supporting Member

Here's a wiring diagram for:

1 Push-Pull Neck Volume (Series/Parallel Neck)
    1 Push-Pull Bridge Volume (Series/Parallel Bridge)
    1 Push-Pull Master Tone (Series/Parallel Both)

You could obviously replace any of the push-pull pots with DPDT switches and a normal pot. If you're looking for some other sort of wiring configuration, just check out Dimarzio's website, they have many listed.
  8. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314 Supporting Member

That is really cool.

How useful do you think it is to have the option of changing the individual coils to S/P (with or without the standard S/P switch for the two pickups)?
  9. azwipe

azwipe Supporting Member

Here's my experience: I have Model J's in my Jazz, wired with a switch for S/P on both pickups (individually, but at the same time), and another switch for S/P for the pickups together. I have a thread on it here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/ultimate-passive-j-bass-wiring-scheme-1052945/

To my ears, both pickups in series and parallel together sounds identical to both pickups parallel and in series together, if that makes sense. It's hard to write this clearly.

Also, I experimented with individual S/P switches for each pickup but didn't find the tonal differences from combining these worthwhile.

Also, people think that everything in series comes out muddy, but I love having the option. It gives a huge output boost in the low mids, great for when you need to punch through. Depending on what you're playing and how clear your bass is, I find it super useful.
  10. Torkk

Torkk

Thank you thank you thank you, I have those pots ordered im gonna need the schematic
  11. joelb79

joelb79

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries?

:bag:
  12. AlarmClock314

I actually thought that these would sound slightly different.
  13. azwipe

azwipe Supporting Member

ARG, yes it's confusing to write. How about:

[(Neck coils in Series) parallel to (Bridge coils in Series)]

sounds exactly the same as:

[(Neck coils Parallel) in series with (Bridge coils Parallel)]

On my bass the difference is nonexistent or negligible. And all else being equal, [(Neck coils in Series) parallel to (Bridge coils in Series)] is preferable because you can still blend the pups.

BUT, [(Neck coils in Series) in series with (Bridge coils in Series)] is really handy when you need to be a bully.

Az
  14. AlarmClock314

Good point.

What did you think about having one pickup in S with the other in P? Is it worth having individual S/P switches for each pickup, or just having one switch change both pickups?
  15. azwipe

azwipe Supporting Member

I briefly had that setup but didn't find it worthwhile. The differences between the combinations were noticeable if you squint your ears, but not that useful or interesting IMHO. There was another thread that seemed to report similar conclusions, but of course YMMV.

By the way, [(Neck Parallel) parallel (Bridge Parallel)] results in a big output drop that you may have to compensate at the amp, but it does add some really sparkly, top-end crispness. Not a bad sound at all.

Az