1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Dimarzio Model One - Epiphone Rivoli

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ButlerBob, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob

Hey

I've recently put a Dimarzio Model One in to my Epiphone Rivoli (90s one) - i'm having to really crank the gain on my amp compared to my Jack Casady Bass and my P Bass. Anyone used this pickup and noticed it has a low output??

Is it possible something in the circuit is causing a low output - pot value etc??

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Rob

2. MPU

MPU

How close to strings are the pole pieces? Try raising them if they are more than 3mm from strings.

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob

Cheers for that - just tried it.

They're quite a bit further away than 3mm when at a normal looking position.

Closer to a cm i'd guess. The Dimarzio sits pretty low in the body - it could do with something raising it...

If you see this link - 6th photo down (not my guitar, but same) you can see a side shot of string distance - http://www.m221b.com/EpiRivoli/RivoliHI.html

I raised the poles right up to 3mm away - it looked mental! But also - only really boosted the output a small amount.

It's not a massive deal - it just seems weird that i'm turning the gain on my amp a whole quarter of the dial more than my other basses.

4. Meddle

Meddle

3mm seems mighty close.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Did you wire it series or parallel? Series will have more output, but a darker tone.

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob

I wired it in series. So if that's the higher output option i wonder if there's anything else in the circuit that makes it so low. Pot values? The transformer that is to do with the baritone button?? Anyone any ideas??

I have a Zvex Super Hard On that i was thinking of using for a signal boost before my amp...

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

You might try opening it up, putting alligator clips directly on the pickup leads, and clipping the other ends to an instrument cable. Effectively, bypassing the pots (and anything else in your circuit).

See if that makes a difference.

9. ButlerBob

ButlerBob

Nice one Ctmullins - i'll give that a go.

10. Bearded Wizard

Bearded Wizard

The Model One is a pretty beefy pickup, not as beefy as a vintage mudbucker, but it should have some pretty hefty output. Should outdo a P Bass pretty easily. I'd think there's something funky going on.

11. ButlerBob

ButlerBob

So i wired a jack socket directly to the pick up as a test - therefore bypassing all the other components in the circuit - and the output level was exactly the same.

Any Model One users out there?? Do you find it to be a lower level pick up than other basses??

Cheers

12. GlennW

GlennW

I'm unfamiliar with these pickups, but if they're made like the Gibson mudbucker they have two magnets on the outside of the coils, both pointed at the middle. If that's the case, I'd GUESS one or both magnets are facing the wrong direction. With the Gibsons, both magnets have SAME polarity towards the middle. That's both have north facing the middle, or both have south facing the middle. Since the magnets are 4-sided, it's also possible that one (or both) is sideways. Incorrect magnet positioning WILL generate a weak output from the pickup.

If it was mine, I'd find out how the magnets are supposed to be, check, and make the necessary adjustment/s.

13. rrbasic

rrbasic

I've got that pickup in the same bass, an Epiphone Rivoli, and I've never thought of it as having low output. I've also got a 51P reissue and I think the epiphone is hotter.

14. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

They're built like a regular humbucker, not like a sidewinder.

15. Atomic Al

Atomic Al

I have this pick up in the neck position of my Yamaha Attitude, it should have plenty of output.
    I'II post the wiring diagram from the LTD2 manual, I'm sure you won't be wiring it the same since there is a high cut switch in this diagram but it should at least let you know if you've used the proper value for the pots.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps, cheers.

16. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I have one in my Epi T-Bird, and it's definitely not a weak PU.

When You wired it in series, in or out of phase?

Regards
    Sam

17. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

I ran one for years with a series / parallel switch. The pickup should measure around 12 to 13K ohms on a meter. It sounds like one side shorted out. Its a 4 wire pickup so I would start checking there?

18. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

I'm willing to bet there's something wrong with your pickup. I've had several model one pickups (my favorite pickup of all time). They are loud. Much louder than a normal p-bass pickup.

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That pickup is way to far away from the strings. Raising the poles only helps a little because the coils are still the same distance, and raising the poles moves them father from the magnets.

I would make a spacer the same size as the pickup to raise it closer to the strings.