Dimarzio question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metlman72, Nov 13, 2012.

1. metlman72

metlman72

Hey all, OK so I just finished a project Fender P bass and decided to go with a Dimarzio pup. Installed fine but I am getting an overdrive sound almost while playing. I have lowered the pup, although it was no closer to the strings than the factory pup.Tested them with a multi meter and both are fine. My question are they that hot that I would need to plug into the active jack on my head. I could not have my pre amp above 2 if I want a clean sound. Anyone else have or have had an issue with this. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Which model? DiMarzio makes several P-pickups.

3. atgronkvist

atgronkvist Supporting Member

i have dp122 in my pbass and everytime i use an aviom its all fuzz. but when i plug into an amp its high gain, and sounds like i'm using an overdrive pedal. i love it. i don't use the active input but i supposed you could to level out your volume. if grit is your thing, these bad boys tear.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

either way, a passive dimarzio pickup is not itself "distorting"; it may be loud enough to clip whatever it's driving, but that's a different issue.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. metlman72

metlman72

Overdrive, yes that is a much better explanation of what's happening sound wise. As far as what model, I am not sure as I bought them used here in the classified. So is this the norm with Dimarzio pups?

7. Lee H

Lee H

If they are the double wound pups, they are basically humbuckers. Is that the sound you are getting?

This is kind of interesting. I am not really a P bass fan, so have never experimented with the split P pups.
    I do have a craptastic flea mart P, that I could experiment on.... I can all ready see this one costing me money...LOL

I am a big fan of the DiMarzio double wound jazz pups. If the Ps are anything like the Js, I like them all ready

8. metlman72

metlman72

As stated above any time I have the pre amp on my head over say 3-1/2 to 4 it sounds like I am using an overdrive pedal. This does not happen with any of my other 4 P basses. I wad just wondering if this is normal for there pups as I have never used them before.

I probably should not have said distortion in my original post.