1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dimarzio question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metlman72, Nov 13, 2012.

1. metlman72

metlman72

Hey all, OK so I just finished a project Fender P bass and decided to go with a Dimarzio pup. Installed fine but I am getting an overdrive sound almost while playing. I have lowered the pup, although it was no closer to the strings than the factory pup.Tested them with a multi meter and both are fine. My question are they that hot that I would need to plug into the active jack on my head. I could not have my pre amp above 2 if I want a clean sound. Anyone else have or have had an issue with this. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
  2. iiipopes

iiipopes

Which model? DiMarzio makes several P-pickups.
  3. atgronkvist

atgronkvist Supporting Member

i have dp122 in my pbass and everytime i use an aviom its all fuzz. but when i plug into an amp its high gain, and sounds like i'm using an overdrive pedal. i love it. i don't use the active input but i supposed you could to level out your volume. if grit is your thing, these bad boys tear.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

either way, a passive dimarzio pickup is not itself "distorting"; it may be loud enough to clip whatever it's driving, but that's a different issue.
  5. metlman72

metlman72

Overdrive, yes that is a much better explanation of what's happening sound wise. As far as what model, I am not sure as I bought them used here in the classified. So is this the norm with Dimarzio pups?
  6. Lee H

Lee H

If they are the double wound pups, they are basically humbuckers. Is that the sound you are getting?

This is kind of interesting. I am not really a P bass fan, so have never experimented with the split P pups.
    I do have a craptastic flea mart P, that I could experiment on.... I can all ready see this one costing me money...LOL

I am a big fan of the DiMarzio double wound jazz pups. If the Ps are anything like the Js, I like them all ready
  7. metlman72

metlman72

As stated above any time I have the pre amp on my head over say 3-1/2 to 4 it sounds like I am using an overdrive pedal. This does not happen with any of my other 4 P basses. I wad just wondering if this is normal for there pups as I have never used them before.

I probably should not have said distortion in my original post.