1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in a fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Jan 25, 2014.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

I picked up a used MIM Jazz last night, it has a Badass II, and stock pups, I can't say I'm crazy about the pups, but someone locally is selling a set of Ultra Jazz, just wondering if anyone's tried them on a fretless, and what you think of them.
    My bass is an 03 and from what I've read they should fit, can anyone confirm?
    Thanks in advance

2. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I've read, no personal experience for me, that the ultra jazz pickups have a bit of a mid scoop. If you're looking for an upright bass tone, these could be okay, especially with the tone rolled down a bit, but if you're looking for more of a Jaco or mwah tone, you may want a pickup with a bump in the mids. Nordstrand NJ4SE's are supposed to be great for that, but again, I don't have experience with them. I've just done a lot of review reading as I have two basses I'm shopping for new pickups for.

However, the NJ4SE's can be a bit pricey. I recently read the Dimarzio Area J's are somewhat similar in tone to the NJ4SE's, but I don't know for sure - I'm in the process of figuring this out for myself.

3. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

I'm not sure I want mid scooped. Thanks for the info, I'll pass those up