1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in a fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Jan 25, 2014.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

I picked up a used MIM Jazz last night, it has a Badass II, and stock pups, I can't say I'm crazy about the pups, but someone locally is selling a set of Ultra Jazz, just wondering if anyone's tried them on a fretless, and what you think of them.
    My bass is an 03 and from what I've read they should fit, can anyone confirm?
    Thanks in advance
  2. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I've read, no personal experience for me, that the ultra jazz pickups have a bit of a mid scoop. If you're looking for an upright bass tone, these could be okay, especially with the tone rolled down a bit, but if you're looking for more of a Jaco or mwah tone, you may want a pickup with a bump in the mids. Nordstrand NJ4SE's are supposed to be great for that, but again, I don't have experience with them. I've just done a lot of review reading as I have two basses I'm shopping for new pickups for.

However, the NJ4SE's can be a bit pricey. I recently read the Dimarzio Area J's are somewhat similar in tone to the NJ4SE's, but I don't know for sure - I'm in the process of figuring this out for myself.
  3. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

I'm not sure I want mid scooped. Thanks for the info, I'll pass those up