1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups on 2000 MIM Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bur, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Bur

Bur

Going to throw a pair of Ultra Jazz pups in my MIM Jb... My bass has two similar pickup cavities, so I should buy two similar babes (I aint measured yet will it be neck or bridge)... Does it make a difference in functionality or tone, or there is no any issues with installing two similar pickups? Would like to retain them humless. Thanks!

2. Bur

Bur

Two neck ones I guess... Is there a difference in size only between neck & bridge one, or something?

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Go online get EXACT ultra jazz measurements! Carefully compare to bass. They often do not fit standard jazz basses. Measure twice. Buy once!

Ultra Jazz pickups are great and noise cancelling. Note that with single coil pickups if you get two neck or two bridge pickups they will hum because one has to have polarity reversed to not hum! But with Ultra Jazz they are hum cancelling so two identical pickups will work fine.

The only thing is that often the bridge pickup is wound hotter than the neck pickup because it doesn't produce as much output. This will better balance the pickups when both are maxed. If you use two identical pickups obviously both will have same sensitivity. It won't be a big deal, but just saying. You'll have to compensate by having bridge pickup a little closer to the strings.

So if everything fits it should work fine.