1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

dimension modern player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vante, Dec 27, 2013.

1. vante

vante

new hand ,wanna to know is it good or not to buy it as my first Bass thx :D
  2. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

3. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I've played a few and they all sounded like crap and had super glossy necks that stick to your hand. All but 2 of the 5 pickup settings sound weak.

I'd go for something else. Nearly anything else.

My 2 cents.
  4. vante

vante

thx ,bought something else so have poor budget…and how about the jb in the same series thx ~
  5. vante

vante

6. vante

vante

thx ,bought something else so have poor budget…and how about the jb in the same series thx ~
  7. blueskyjaunte

blueskyjaunte ^- Mwahnster Supporting Member

My experience too. At that price I'd go for an SBMM SUB.
  8. vante

vante

wanna buy a second hand in mint condition with 449$ ,sorry but don't like the shape of sub
  9. raal

raal

wanted to post ever since i went to the local GC. They had just received a US made 5 in the H config. I'm guessing US as it sold for $1,5K. It sported a 3 band pre, wood combo ash with rw f/b.

The rosewood f/b looked great next to the caramel burst and the white pickguard. I liked the body shape, not too modern, still OK with the fender shaped headstock. neck profile was quite thick front to back indeed. Neck finish was satin.

The kicker was that the bass was super clear and crip sounding. I was the 5 string i played that sounded the closest to the '79 ray I know, no joke. Not sure if it was because of their pattended strongarm retainer, but the B was slamming too. As a Bb tuner I've always been drooling on 55-76's but this seems to be a great bass right from the box.

the only wrong thing i could find was that the plastic contour of the p/u housing was designed to "hug" the body very closely however was overly sensitive to the B and would require some serious tilt adjustment to compensate for. i obviously couldn't try to adjust it at the store but would assume it can be done.

I post this as I am no big fan of FMI's aggressive marketing strategy and when you see the plant tour videos their manufacturing floor really sucks. furthermore the company gets pretty bad reviews from its own employees but that's a whole other subject.

So in summary the dimension i tried was a great sounding and feeling 34 scale 5 string music man type bass.
  10. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

The USA Dimension and the Modern Player Dimension are two different animals.
  11. blueskyjaunte

blueskyjaunte ^- Mwahnster Supporting Member

Completely different!
  12. raal

raal

Yep, the bass reviewed is an american deluxe violin burst, not a modern player. Did not realize the modern player is the entry level model so this review is out of place.
  13. troy mcclure

troy mcclure

I got a modern player, I have played it about 15 mins. Fedex came right before I left for my NYE gig. The neck feels like a P neck. The thing was setup ok right out of the box and the 5 tones are all useful. I can see it being a great starter bass or a nice back up. I wanted a maple boarded bass and wanted to try the H style pickup for a change.
    It could use a tone control, but I would probably leave it full most of the time, anyway.