Dimensions/Specs of thicker surgical tubing for bow grip

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by continuo77, Apr 6, 2014.

1. continuo77

continuo77

I've been using surgical tubing on my bows for years (3/8" with 1/16'' wall). This is the thinnest tubing, and what I'm used to. I have a spare bow that could benefit from a few more grams at the frog. I wanted to purchase a few feet of the thicker, more "cushioned" tubing, but I wanted to be sure about the specs of this type of tubing before I place an order. Does anyone know the specs/dimensions for this type of tubing?

Since the rubber would be thicker, would the 3/8'' internal diameter be too small??? Would it make sense to look for 1/2'' internal diameter with 1/8'' wall thickness? I don't want it to be loose, but I also don't want issues getting it on the stick! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

The majority of bows are approximately 12mm in diameter at the frog end of the stick. You want it to be slightly smaller so the tubing will be snug and not move around, so the internal diameter you are using should be fine.

As for getting it on and off of the bow, a little bit of baby powder on the inside of the tubing and/or the stick allows it to slide easier.