1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ding in new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulIsTheMan, Aug 22, 2013.

1. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

My black jazz bass just got a ding in the front and it looks white.i am freaking out. Is there any way to get rid of this?

2. cthomas5200

cthomas5200

I just did the same thing with my new Lakland. I raised it up into the ceiling fan and got a couple nice marks of the dark stain on it. I was able to clean it with mineral spirits (gently) and remove the paint. still a slight ding, but not noticable.

If the "white" is the wood or undercoat (if there is one) showing through you will probably need to do a little touch up paint to hide it.

Of course, you can just wear it with pride! It is your first step toward a real "roadworn" instrument!

3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    ... take a deep breath, think of the many things much worse in your life at this very moment, and touch it up with a dab of black paint. Isn't that one of the reasons black is beautiful?

4. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

i think its just the undercoat

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Play it a bunch and put some more dings in it - that way that first one won't look so out of place.

7. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

im sixteen there is not much else to worry about.
    and yes black is beautiful.

8. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I think I'm personally keeping Sharpie in business, touching up instruments, amps and cabs all the time. Gotta keep them looking sharp. And besides, it's a working musical instrument. not a museum piece. These things are gonna happen.

9. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

And then you'll be "eighteen and you still don't know what you want"

:bag:

10. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

nice alice cooper reference.:p
    I do know what i want to do with my life though.:smug:

11. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

im sixteen there is not much else to worry about.
    and yes black is beautiful.

12. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

13. Bassics101

Bassics101

It's the beginning of mojo. The first one always hurts. But it shows that you use it.

14. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Another vote for black sharpie.

15. Mr. Sound

Mr. Sound Supporting Member

Personally, I would be photographing the ding and showing it off! (our guitarist would already have made an appointment for a total respray!)

16. wideload

wideload

Your bass is ruined. Don't even TRY to play it. Send it to me, I'll arrange for appropriate disposal - no charge! :)

I wish my bass had only one ding!

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's probably repairable, but the work may be more than you want to get into. Photos, please.

Personally - I keep my basses as pristine as possible. Any ding on one of my instruments is due to an accident, not "mojo". I take good care of instruments and have some I've played for 15 years with no dings, no scratches, no damage.

18. himluis1

himluis1

same thing happen to my midnight blue jazz bass , i bought a midnight blue almost same color nail polish and put a drop in the ding , then i used super glue to fill the ding ... u can also use a 3000 sand piper to level everything out ... but mine didn't needed , now people barely notice it , to be honest no one has talked about it , like is not there :)

19. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben Supporting Member

Speaking from experience.............leave it alone!

20. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

+1 It is usually best to leave it alone yet if you want to and are willing to take the time, this is the method I use and it works great.

This is an easy way to repair small dings if they are in the top or back, not so easy on a side of the bass. This is a Joe way, not a pro way, but if you take your time (about 30 minutes max) it will turn out very good.

Things you need:

1) Painters tape, the blue or green kind

2) 1ml Crafting Syringe

3) A small bottle of high quality ( opi or sparitual etc.) nail polish that matches the color of finish on your bass. That's easy because it's black but reds are more difficult because most people don't know if the red is more blue or more yellow as well as how light or dark it is compared to their finish until they see the contrast against the other paint.

4) Paper plates

5) Drop cloth

Put your bass on a flat solid surface with a drop cloth under it. Carefully tape off the ding, get the tape right at edge of the ding. You'll have to rip several tiny pieces. make sure you press each piece down with top of your finger nail around the edge so it's a good "seal". with more experience you can have the tape hang over the edges of the ding ever so slightly ( this is obviously size dependent) and it forms a lip on the ding and it makes it easier to get the edges of the nail polish to be level.

Shake the nail polish well and with two stacks of three or four paper plates ready, unscrew the cap and pull it out while wiping the brush that is inside and part of the cap (you'll see it when you pull off the cap) and set the cap on one set of plates and the bottle on another.

Fill the syringe with nail polish by drawing the plunger on the syringe up with the tip in the bottle, be careful not to knock the bottle over. Put the cap back on the bottle and set it aside.

Hold the tip of the syringe in the ding if it's bigger or over it if it's small and slowly push the nail polish out until the indent is filled. A deep gouge should be filled in stages to allow for better control over how much you put in. A good quality nail polish will self level, don't over fill it. After you fill it and it levels leave it alone, let it cure over night and then take off the tape.

It will dry with a gloss finish and if you fill it with the correct amount it's hard to detect without either inspecting the bass for flaws or knowing it's there.

21. vin*tone

vin*tone

It's road-worn. People pay top dollar for that.