Dingwall Combustion Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryanthebassist, Jan 1, 2014.

1. bryanthebassist

bryanthebassist

Alright, so I'm in the market for a Combustion 5.
    The low B sounds absolutely killer and the looks are top notch. My question is about the electronics though. I've heard they lack any kind of mid range punch which causes me a great bit of concern. Can any owners clarify?

Also, it'll run me about $1250. Is there any other bass I could get in that price range that would be better? I was looking into some Zons as well and they all look lovely. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
  2. SpecialBlender

SpecialBlender

I've had my Combustion for 3 years now and have had nothing but compliments on my sound from the 3 different projects I've been playing with during that time.

What you're going to get is a very even, clear sound across all strings with no dead spots (that I've been able to find). You'll find the active eq is very responsive and powerful with only minor adjustments giving you lots of tone change. Most active basses I've played (Fender's in particular) only seem to give me the sound I'm looking for if the low's and high's are maxed. My Combustion EQ is normally set at center which gives me the opportunity to tweak as I need.

Set flat I've had no problem cutting through in any band situation I've been in from a Country/60's Rock/Blugrass band to 2 different classic power rock bands.

To my ears it was everything I had been looking for sound & playing wise. Of course there is the typical TB adage YMMV.
  3. bryanthebassist

bryanthebassist

That's quite a relief to hear. Thanks again!

Also though, do you think there's a better bass out there for the price range, or should I just go with the Combustion?
  4. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

In that price range you might find a used Dingwall ABZ. While it's very different compared to the Combustion, it has FD-3 pickups, a slimmer neck, better hardware, is lighter etc.

I don't think there is a better bass than a lower-range Dingwall in that price range. They are something special, no doubt about that. I bought two, a used AB-II and a new Combustion. Love them both.

Many Dingwall owners would be open to letting you try their basses out, so ask if there are any nearby to where you live.
  5. Register to disable this ad