Dingwall Combustion vs USA Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by happychicken, Apr 1, 2014.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Ok so I am going to get another bass but I can't decide between these two. I have looked up both of them and they both look good. I have a peavey cirrus in a four string and its great but I keep hearing the dingwall sound clips and it sounds amazing. Any input appreciated!!!
  2. happychicken

Oh btw I'm looking at the 5 string cirrus thanks!
  3. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

I played a Cirrus a few times. It was good, but didn't really blow my mind. Dingwalls did, and I own a Combustion and an AB-II now.

But it'd be best to play them both if you can. See if there's a store that stocks them near you. But I'd take the Combustion personally
  4. happychicken

I would love to know if anyone stocks the combustion in the Long Island area. I would love to try it. For the record I'm talking about the older peavey cirrus basses so I would have to go used.
  5. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    I've owned both and I found the Combustion to be more versatile, especially with a very simple push/pull volume pot mod that allows for series-parallel switching of each pickup.

The Cirrus is a fantastic bass, but in my opinion the Combustion can cop it's tones well and has others on tap that the Cirrus just doesn't; it also responds better to pick style playing in my opinion, and I also prefer it's more contemporary (black and maple w/ pick guard) aesthetic.

Dingwall's also have the best necks of any basses I've ever played; incredibly stable construction with fast, comfortable profiles and capable of absurdly low action.

Another vote for the Dingwall ;)
  6. johnnydingle

johnnydingle

Dingwall. Don't need to explain it. Just take our word for it.
  7. Daedraziel

Daedraziel Supporting Member

Another vote for dingwall. I'm saving for one now after playing a couple of them recently. The only place I've been able to demo them has been the Nj guitar and bass store in Edison, NJ. Not TOO far from you and definitely worth the drive.
  8. happychicken

This is looking like a landslide... Thanks ill check that shop out!
  9. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Jay's shop in Edison, NJ may not have any 5-string Combustions in stock, but I know he has at least 1 Afterburner ABZ (blue) on the wall. His website shows a Trans Black as well, which he may have off the floor in stock.

He used to have a Peavey Cirrus 4, but looks like that recently sold. (but you're not looking for a 4 anyway)

http://www.newjerseyguitarandbasscenter.com/index.html
  10. happychicken

i just got a Dingwall ABZ and it is absolutely awesome thanks all!!
  11. johnbassdoherty

johnbassdoherty Supporting Member

Welcome to the club, you chose well but it won't stop there, Dingwalls are an addiction, i've had 3, stupidly sold my combustion but still have my SJ5 & ABII (and always will have) and hopefully will add to them, maybe another combustion and SP5 and if the lotto numbers come in a Z2 :bassist:
  12. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

pics and sound clip, would be awesome
  13. happychicken

Can do pic. Not sure about sound clip. I don't think anyone would want to here me play anyway I stink of mediocrity and ho-humism
  14. happychicken

John do you think it's worth it to get combustion in light I have abz? Can it do something the abz can't? Looking for any excuse here not real great understanding of differences in the models except combustion is foreign and j and p have shorter scale length.
  15. johnbassdoherty

I would stay with the ABZ, it's a more up market bass than the combustion, in my case it's sentimental, the combustion was my first Dingwall and I should never have sold it, I have never tried an ABZ so I cant comment on it, all I know is it's passive and I have heard nothing but praise about it on the Dingwall forum, the SJ has a shorter neck but wider string spacing than the ABII, and for my playing (functions band) it's better suited than the ABII so it gets a lot more playing, I use the ABII for rock gigs where we get to play songs we love, the SJ could do the job as good but no point the ABII gathering dust all the time, you have to share the love, we have no Dingwall dealers here in Ireland so I had to buy all mine in the hope I would like them, hence I started with the combustion, with no regrets, if you need any more help or info go over to the Dingwall forum https://www.dingwallguitars.com/community/ the guys and gals over there are more than willing to help out, even Sheldon himself chips in, best of luck.
  16. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

While I haven't played an ABZ, they're fairly close the ABI without the poly body finish and the Afterburners are good.

The Combustion, while sharing the same scale length (37" - 34", 5-string) as the Afterburners, is more traditional sounding. The good thing is that it has been designed as a platform to MOD from. You could upgrade it with Dingwall FD-3 pickups (or other) or put a different preamp in there or keep it stock, as it is a great sounding bass as is.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They are both good. The Afterburners feel a little more sleek and slim (the Combustion has a chunkier neck, back to front). They are both good instruments in their own right.
  17. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

I bought a Combustion while having an AB-II, but for no reason other then modding it into something very different. And I did, and it's great, and it does very different things then my AB-II.
  18. happychicken

Cool what does it mean "a more traditional sound"?
  19. johnbassdoherty

Traditional sound would mean, a more rounded warmer sound like a Fender P or that type of bass, where the Afterburner has more of a bite to it's tone if needed and a wider range of tones/sounds available and has a more powerful preamp (it's a lot louder) but your ABZ should be amazing to play and you should notice how even the tone is across the strings, that's the beauty of fan frets, each string has it's optimum length for tone, if you look in a piano you'll see each string is a different length for optimum tone, the fan fret gives us the same, hope this makes sense.
  20. happychicken

ok. a more traditional sound may actually may be real good for my church stuff. really considering selling my single cut 5 and looking for another dingwall. l would want to get one that could do all the stuff the abz can't. not sure if that would be the super j or ab2? i could never afford z3