Dingwall, MTD, or Warrior

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Granddesign, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Granddesign

Granddesign Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Pedals
    I play Christian music, mostly in church but we do have a rock edge to our playing. I am in the market for a 6 string bass. Looking for either a Dingwall, MTD or Warrior. If anyone can let me know their likes and dislikes about these three I would much appreciate it.
  2. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

I would go with either of the first two over the Warrior, and I own a Dingwall (so that's where my bias, and the majority of my experience, lies). Dingwalls are generally lighter and more balanced-sounding, with a slim neck profile and a lot of punch. They can get very aggressive if you play that way, or will clean up and be more polite if you lighten up and learn what the pickup selectors and knobs do.

The only disadvantage of a "long scale" Dingwall (anything that's not a Super P or Super J) is that it's a pain to find strings that will fit that long low B, but the Dingwall strings do sound and feel great.
  3. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Very content with the ABZ-5 I have for the same reasons as IntrepidCellist lists.

Camping out in the upper registers will require a bit of an adjustment to the fanned frets (nothing huge — you’ll like it or you won’t).

If possible, take a Dingwall for a test drive!
  4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

I like both Dingwall and MTD, Warrior, not so much...

For me, the MTD neck just feels better and I like the tone of the MTD better - YMMV.

I had a MTD 535 that was just amazing - if I ever see it for sale again I will buy it. I sold it only because I had a Ken Lawrence Brase 5 at the time that really covered the same tones. I'm now down to a Sadowsky 5, a Lakland 55-94 and a Warmoth 5 fretless.

Dan K.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Drkwdsman@yahoo Supporting Member

I am a fan of the Warrior, but then I have been using it since 1999. It is my only 34" neck bass and my go to over my Custom jazz and Roscoe. One of the best sounding basses I have owned.
  7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I owned a Warrior, and it was a mess. But then, I've played a couple that were totally sweet. Personally, I don't trust the brand enough to buy another one.

Out of the other two, I prefer MTD. No other reason than personal preference.
  8. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Drkwdsman@yahoo Supporting Member

When you talk about any high end bass, it makes sense to go try them out for yourself, especially the amount of money involved. Happy hunting!
  9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I've never played an MTD or Warrior. What I like about Dingwalls? Superb balance and ergonomics. I still own four of the five I have purchased - no dead spots on any. Very even response all over the fretboard. I like all of Sheldon's pickups that I have heard (he makes his own). I like the custom Hipshot bridges. Easy to adjust and quick string release when changing. I don't have a number in the "praise and worship club", but that's all I do any more when I'm playing. :) I rarely snoop around Ebay anymore, but I actually noticed a 6-string Dingwall on there earlier this evening. I won't be bidding (five strings are plenty for me). I hope you find a cool new instrument!
  10. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Actually, strings are really not that hard to find anymore. Circle K makes their nickel steels to fit Dingwalls. Also, Payson strings are made in Flats, steels, nickels And nickel steels.

There is a new string source from Italy that is soon to be available in the states as well.

If you go to the Dingwall forum, there is a string thread that discusses all of the available brands.
  11. Granddesign

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the comments , I am narrowed down to Dingwall and MTD. I played a MTD Andrew Gouche 6 at the perfect bass a couple weeks ago. Really liked it. Never had a chance to play a Dingwall. Would love to try a Dingwall.
  12. Junk420

Junk420

The second I picked up a Dingwall, I was hooked to the fanned frets. They just felt very natural. I have one on order right now!
  13. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for Dingwall, based on balance, ergonomics and the fanned frets.

MTD's are lovely, and have that amazing zing up top to be sure, but after owning a Dingwall, they're "just" a world-class parallel fretted bass.
  14. LightGroove

LightGroove

I have to throw Roscoe into the mix...some of the best 6 strings in the business..give them a shot
  15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

I do not have experience with the others (well, an MTD Kingston, but I doubt those are the models you are looking at), but Dingwalls are great basses. To add to what everyone else has said, it's the low register quality and clarity that will set it apart from the others. Plus, you can play higher up on the neck on the B-String without having it sound like mush and having all those weird overtones.
  16. Granddesign

Disclosures:
    We'll thanks to you all. I ordered a Dingwall Combustion 5 string from Bass Central. Figured if I didn't like it I can always sell or trade it. I also put a down payment on a MTD AG 6 from The Perfect Bass here in Baton Rouge, LA. Thanks for the suggestions.
  17. steve_rolfeca

Interesting strategy.

Did you order the MTD in the Kingston series or the USA?
  18. Granddesign

Disclosures:
    It was the Kingston ag6 that they have in stock.
  19. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I play in both CC/PW bands at church. Sunday service band and Wednesday L3 which is the young pups. It's loud, and much heavier than what you expect to hear in a church.

I run a Dingwall Super J5 and a Dingwall Super P5 full time. Amazing basses as they can do laid back warmth with a ton of definition, or just rip.

The Combustions have a great reputation. Excited for you.
  20. steve_rolfeca

Just curious. Why didn't you take a trip to Bass Central, and try the USA MTD and Canadian Dingwall 6-strings back to back?

If you end up deciding that what you really want is the sleeker neck and better electronics of a "real" Dingwall, the accumulated depreciation on the MTD and the Combustion will add up to more than the price of a ticket...

Oops. Just saw that you went with the Kingston. Makes sense- BC doesn't seem to stock them in 6-string..
  21. Granddesign

Disclosures:
    Because I have more money than time.