1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dingwall Owners Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 9, 2014.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
  2. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Just saw pics of the new SJ5 3x on FB. Very nice!

3. BC82

BC82 Supporting Member

@burningskies
    Not digging the Z3 looks on the SJ5 but definitely loving that black hardware. Just IMO.

Dingwall club part 7. I'm down. Still have a while to go until my Super P/FD3 5er so I look forward to seeing everyone else's basses.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

It's not for everyone, but I like it. It's like a modern high horsepower take on a classic muscle car. Its a completely beefy update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ Yep. That's a wenge neck everyone.

I think I still prefer the FD-3.4L pickups to the superfatty style Jazz pickups (without having used them but discussing them early on with Sheldon plus what everyone has said). I have grown farther away from the traditional Jazz bass tone that I once enjoyed. That 'bigblock' triple pickup has to have some heft to it.

Sheldon hasn't converted me to the shortscales yet...I really love the hell out of his regular issue designs.

Pudge Fish, svtb15 and bluesdogblues like this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BC82

BC82 Supporting Member

I'm sure it'll grown on me. Can't wait to hear it

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I like the Black Cherry color but the traditionalist in me prefers chrome cloverleaf tuners.

8. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Couldn't help but notice a Super P4 in the classifieds...anyone have any thoughts on that? Kinda tempted :)

9. BurningSkies

What/how much do you know about them already, and what can we fill you in on? I can't remember how much exposure you have.

10. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Zoomie is a buddy of mine and I've played his Super J5, but not the P yet. I'm just not a 5 string kinda dude at heart, but he swears the Super P's are the coolest thing ever...not sure if there's anything to know about that particular one in the classifieds, or if it's something I should jump on...I love the looks, personally :)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-dingwall-super-p-4-a-1043219/

11. BurningSkies

I haven't heard anything 'bad' about any of them, and Sheldon seldom lets a dog out of the shop. If there were issues, I think he'd want to know. Lots of praises for the Super P when it came out. Expect the body to be thinner than a standard P and have a bit more finesse in the neck joint. The pickups have been successful enough that you can even get a p-sound retrofit soapbar these days.

The scale length will be 32"-34.25" on the E string.

12. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Cool! I'll PM the owner and ask about it :)

13. reddavid

reddavid

Duke, I love my Super P-5. I'm pretty sure Zoomie likes his. (Hard to tell?!). There have been a few variations of the tone control circuit. I like the 'original'. Some folks never even use the tone control. It sounds so good 'straight up'. The P4 in the classifieds looks pretty nice! DAS at work!

14. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Sweet! I PM'd the seller, so we'll see!

15. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

I would jump on that super P4 -you can always get your money back.
    best P bass out there period.
    I am ordering a new P4 in the new year

16. NaH

NaH

@ Bocete (re: "a fretless Dingwall does everything you want it to, just try" from Part 6)

I'm sure you said it for everyone else's benefit as well, but I must agree with you:

My Dingwall Fretless on top:
    DingwallTrinitysmall.jpg

Don't remember if I ever posted this pic (probably did) of a used AB2 w/Cocobolo top I picked up.
    Cocobolo-small.jpg

Ultimately I need to decide between the two AB2's. It's been a year since I said I'd sell one. :bag:

17. Sbociol

Sbociol

Asking again since the previous thread got closed:

Does anybody have an idea about the actual difference between an ABI and an ABZ?I've checked out the specs but I was hoping to hear from someone that had the chance to compare them in person.

18. BurningSkies

IIRC, it comes down to a different finish (that non-gloss poly) and different pickup shells.

19. Sbociol

Sbociol

Other than the body wood, those seem to be the only differences yeah...too bad the Ferrari Yellow finish's not available on the ABZ, really jonesing for that one. :/

20. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

21. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I believe that the non-gloss finish is less expensive to produce, allowing Dingwall to offer the ABZ's at a lower price point. This would be why the Ferrari Yellow is not offered on them. :)

Zoomie's passion for his reverse Super P5 reminds me of a picture I saw of a famous bassist (sorry, don't remember exactly who) lying in bed with his bass... ;)