1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dingwall questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by happychicken, Apr 11, 2014.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Hi all! I am about to become the proud owner of a dingwall abz. So I was wondering if this bass can do everything a combustion can do or is there still a need to get a combustion? Is there some things the combustion are better for? Should I just sell all my other basses and get a super p or something? I play in a church with piano, 5 vocals, drums, 2 guitar, and occasional violin. Just trying to see what would be best bass for that application. Thanks!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Get your ABZ and use it for a while. I don't believe that you'll 'need' a combustion, although you may decide you want one, or a Z series or even one of the short scale P/J basses. The Afterburners are a great design, the straddle the line between sounding passive and active and have a whole bunch of sounds included.

3. happychicken

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

I agree. Wait until you get it and have some time with it before contemplating another. I don't think you will be disappointed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Most people go from Combustion to ABZ or higher series, not the other way around.

7. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

I have, and love, both. The ABZ will "feel" better, which makes sense since it's got higher quality components, but the Combustion has a different "growl", which also makes sense since it has an active preamp in it. The ABZ is pretty loud for a passive bass and it's my #1, but I do play the Combustion almost as much(probably 51/49).

Get the ABZ and see if it does what you need, I'm betting you'll be thrilled. I'm also betting that you'll buy more Dingwalls anyway...:D:bassist:

[​IMG]

8. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Well rock on! :bassist:

Might I suggest that the ABZ will "own" you in no time flat! ;)

Agree with what's been said. Play it awhile b4 making additional Dingwall acquisitions. :)

9. happychicken

i just got it today and i am completely blown away by this thing. It sounds amazing! i just did a set up and it has STUPID low action! this is like the nicest bass i have ever played. This bass weights 7.4 pounds!! WOW. I also can't believe what a non-issue the fanned fret thing was. It looked like it would be hard to play. i am happy i listened and got this anyway.

BurningSkies likes this.
  10. aqsw

aqsw

Congrats., but you've got the sickness now. Prepare to have an empty wallet for awhile. Those Dingwalls are addictive.

11. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

No pictures....how can we tell how happy you are?

There is no going back now.

12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Congratulations! When I received my first Dingwall (AB-I) in 2007, it immediately created two categories of basses in my mind: 1) Dingwall, and 2) everything else. Enjoy your new bass in good health. :)