1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Direct-from-Fender necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psychobot, Mar 24, 2014.

1. psychobot

psychobot

As many of you are surely aware, a few months back Fender announced that they were going to start offering genuine Fender necks and bodies for sale.

My question is, have any of you tried the direct-from-Fender necks, and if so, how is the quality?

2. lz4005

lz4005

I'm curious as well. Thinking about ordering one to replace a warped neck on an 80's J bass.

There are two price ranges, essentially MIM and MIA necks.

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

aren't they priced at exactly what a refret would cost? hmm

4. lz4005

lz4005

The MIA ones are a lot more than a refret.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

weird, i thought they were less

7. BlueSteelRiot

BlueSteelRiot

well a few weeks ago, i ordered the 70s p neck with the black block inlays... was priced 399$ Don't know how they were able to, but here in switzerland I payed at my local dealer 399.-CHF wich is for swiss prices really cheep, because it even was a special order...
    so its a MIM, havent found anything negative about the quality... it fittet perfectly in the pocket of my CS 50s p,infact it fittet better than the stock one ^^ the inlays are of good quality every thing is straight, there are no gaps or anything, no failure in the painting, trussrod works as it should, didn't had to reajust it after having all set up by my tech untill now...
    all predrilled holes were at the right place, just had to drill the screws in, for mechanics and to attach the body.
    because I have rather small hands (smaller than most of the ladys ^^) its much more comfortable to play, since its shape is a bit different (actually why i bought it) now i can play for hours without my wrist starting to hurt.
    In my oppinion the tone improved too, it sounds a bit more woody, and even more like a vintage P than it did allready before.... maybe because the neck fitts better in the bodys pocket? (stock neck was maple too, so that shouldn't have changed the sound).
    hope that helps.
    edit: complete refretting at the same store would cost you 17.-CHF 20$ per frett if it has no binding and 22.-CHF 25$ with binding so a complete refretting would cost me about 462.- CHF with binding and without 357.-CHF so the neck was cheaper than a complete refretting of the same neck would have cost...

8. psychobot

psychobot

BlueSteelRiot: Did you have to adjust the nut or nut slots at all?

mpdd: The USA ones are $499 and MIM ones are $199, except for that P-bass maple/black block inlay one that BlueSteelRiot described, which is $399.

I ordered one from Guitar Center with a 15% discount, coming to $169. I figured that if it's bad I can just return it, and if it's good then that's a fantastic price. Unfortunately it won't ship out for 2-3 more weeks.

If anyone else has any experience with these, I'd love to hear about it in the meantime.

9. BlueSteelRiot

BlueSteelRiot

I didnt had to do anything at the nut, for standart strings and standart string hight everything was just fine

10. robboy

robboy

When Fender used to sell necks back in the day they were better than anything else we could buy at that time. I don' remember when they stopped but I think it was around 2007? We were dealers for Fender, Warmoth, WD, Allparts etc. and the Fenders were hands down the highest quality. They also sold some of the necks with an aged finish that looked really nice. They weren't cheap, I think dealer cost for an aged finish Jazz neck was 225.00 or so but it was a nice neck with great fretwork and no issues of any kind.

11. BlueSteelRiot

BlueSteelRiot

well what i think is, that these are the exactly same necks, that they mount on their basses, so theres no difference between the stock neck on the bass and the replacement one, just normal differences that exist between each neck...which are mostly minimal... that could be the reason why there are not all necks available as part, because they don't produce every neck in high quantities... only the standart/ most common ones