Direct Only Rig - Anyone run multiple preamps?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thevintagesound, Feb 11, 2013.

1. thevintagesound

thevintagesound

I am working on design/building/researching a bass rig for playing at church. We run the bass direct to the board with AXIOM IEM. I am shooting for something along the lines Geddy's current tone from Clockwork Angels. I know that he's running about 4 signals to the FOH. DI/Sansamp RPM/Orange AD200B/Palmers. However I will only be able to run one. So here are my thoughts: Split the signal to run a direct, maybe a bass preamp, then something along the lines of a guitar preamp (so that I can hit it with overdrives/fuzz and such) then run this all into a small mixer to mix a signal to run to the FOH.

I knows its a lot and will more than likely end up building the preamps and speaker sims myself.

Open to ideas....
  2. John E

John E

I've had good luck with the Sansamp Para Driver when I couldn't bring my own head to the gig.
    A friend of mine uses the Sansamp Bass Driver as a pre into the FX loop return of whoever's head he borrows for the gig.

btw: The newer Big Muff Bass Pi has a nice blend feature mode where the volume only controls the amount of dirt put back into the clean signal. That might work out nice.
  3. thevintagesound

thevintagesound

Any thoughts as far as multiple preamps?
  4. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    Sure, why not? I think it's more of a question of which preamps rather than the concept itself. I used to run 3 Alembic pres in my rig and then also used Alembic pres before various amp heads, which is like cascading preamps. I've also run pres in parallel into a mixer like you are talking about, but I didn't explore it all that much because it wasn't the sound I was going for. I think it's a good concept but only you can determine whether it's the right one for you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grouse789

grouse789

Are there not enough channels on the FOH board for you?
    We are getting a new 32 channel setup at our church so when that happens I can get two channels. I plan on running the tech21 VT pedal on one channel for the dirty mid highs, and the Para driver DI box for the clean lows.
    That said, right now I split my signal to both those units, then regroup them, and this is the sound the FOH gets at church.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  7. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

How about using a Boss LS-2 or Wounded Paw V4 blender or the like and run multiple preamps in parallel, then have them all go to one clean DI box like a Radial JDI or equivalent. The blender pedal will let you choose your pre, and the DI will always be at the end of your chain feeding the FOH.
  8. thevintagesound

thevintagesound

I only have one channel for bass. Those clips sound very close to what I am shooting for. The only I have to work out right is a speaker sim circuit for a bass speaker. The highs drop off a little sooner than a standard guitar speaker so that shouldnt be too hard to work out in a circuit.
  9. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I run several preamp pedals into the front end of my Alembic F-1x. I had been using a Eden WTDI for a modern sound, a Sansamp BDDI for a dirt/distortion sound, and now my 3Leaf Enabler is for a primary "clean" sound. All into a high quality tube preamp. Works great, versatile, flexible and doesn't require a road crew to set up.

Lonnybass