Direct Out - Remove Volume Control on Guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by churchpark, Nov 24, 2012.

1. churchpark

churchpark Supporting Member

Does anyone know of a thread here that tells how to eliminate the volume pot on a preamp or standard wiring to go direct to jack? I haven't any room on my headless to add a 4th pot and would do ok with adjust volume from amp? :help:
  2. line6man

line6man

Why not get a stacked pot?

In any case, just connect the input and output of the volume pot together. Be aware that you will be increasing the output impedance by removing the pot. Depending on the application and your tonal preference, you may want to add a fixed resistor parallel to the signal to make up for it.
  3. churchpark

4. Blue

Blue

All easy to do .. but my favorite sounds come at less then 100%
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you have a preamp, and the volume pot is after the preamp, get a fixed resistor the same value as the volume pot, and connect that between the output and ground. That gives the load the preamp is expecting.

On a passive instrument you can do the same thing if you want the tone of the volume pot. You can also simulate a volume pot not turned all the way up with fixed resistors, or an easier way is to install a small trim pot for the volume control and install it inside the bass.
  7. churchpark

Now we're cooking! I also might be able to install one of those small 6mm pots. All I'm
    worried about is to clear the other pots housing.

Thanks!