Dirk Lance left hand slap technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

I've been trying to learn the slap solo in Redefine, but it's pretty tough, and he has an unusual slap technique. This is a good view of it. He always starts with a pop on those triplets he does, in a very fast pattern of pop-slap-LHslap. Anyone see what he's doing, or maybe explain the Redefine solo? I don't think it's that simple.

2. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Fret a note, thumb slap it, then slam the other three fingers on your hand to the fret board to make a muffled slap akin to a ghost note. Then just leave your pinky where you want to pop (probably the octave from your slap) and pop it. Repeat until you can do it faster and faster and then you can just mix up the order from there.

It sounds a bit like wooten's double thump technique with his thumb, and acts as a decent alternative to it until you can actually do it.

3. CorryJobin

CorryJobin

+1, you could also try going a little bezerk on your bass until you hear what you're going for. I stumbled across something very close to the above through experimenting.

For redefine, I believe most of the action is muted notes, at least that is how i hear it, so it is a bit more of a rhythmic thing as opposed to playing a bunch of notes.

Hope this helps...