Dirt/fuzz etc for GK 1001rbii

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by raul, Jan 20, 2014.

1. raul

raul

For those who use this amp or one like it...what are you driving it with? I'm ordering a VMT but was thinking of a distortion or fuzz pedal for more big crazy out of control rock stuff...
    B3K?
    Rat Tail?
    Musket?
    Something else..?
  2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Go look at Gregmon's board in the PYPB thread. I believe he uses that same head.
  3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    for OD, I usually use a Fairfield barbershop with mine.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Darkglass B3K is heavenly with my GK. Depends what kind of sound you're looking for though. The Rat Tail or Aguilar Agro can get more aggressive and out of control.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I don't find the agro to be out of control at all. it has more dirt/distortion available than a B3K, but that doesn't mean that you have to use it.
  7. raul

raul

For sure getting the VMT for that tube growl and grit as an always on pedal. Now it seems to be between a B3K or a Rat or Big Muff style clone for a big huge powerful massive tone! A heavy tone good for soloing or big wall of sound...not sure which style or flavor to go with!
  8. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

B3K is great for my 700RB, but I also love GK's Diesel Dawg. B3K + DD is AMAZING however.
  9. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

Rat Tail, Musket, Diabolik... all sound awesome
  10. Mark06

Mark06

I use B3K as always-on OD in front of my GK 1001 and engage :
    - Rat Tail when I need distortion
    - Tech21 Red Ripper for fuzz
  11. danis

danis

My favorites with my 700RBii were an English Muff'n + B7K for medium overdrive/color and a Swollen pickle fuzz for heavier parts.
  12. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Nothing more needs said.
  13. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son Supporting Member

Loving my B3K through my 700rbii. Just got a TeamAwesomeFuzzMachine from a fellow TB'er (thanks!) the other day,about to run it through my gig rig(700RB/Ampeg 810) in a few hours. I expect the cops will be called this fine morning :)
  14. danis

danis

FWIW for a more classic fuzz sound with the GK 700rbii, the Musket fuzz was nice (much better than classic EHX muffs) and for a more aggressive sound with less low end I really liked the discontinued EHX black russian muff which imo shined in a busy mix with a distorted guitar :bassist:
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The VMT rocks through GK gear. I am using the 1001RB through a Neo 410. My main pedal that helps all my other pedals is the DG B7K. This pedal rules through my rig hands down. For dirt, I use a Fulltone OCD, Boss ODB3, DG Duality, Brimstone XD1, Prunes and Custard and a Rat King. I would be very hard pressed to find many other dirts that sound as good as the ones Im using for my rig and tastes. All these pedals sound awesome going through my GK rig. They sould great without the B7K, but I have to admit that the B7K is most def my secret sauce so to speak. It just gives all my other pedals, especially all my dirt pedals, this life and body that isnt there without it. And I use the B7K as a clean preamp. These are the things that work well for me and just sound spectacular!
  16. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son Supporting Member

Yeah dude try the TAFM its nasty in an awesome way,creamy,rich,destructive,massive fuzz....why did I wait so long to get one!? It really smoothes out some of the "harshness" of the GK head. Run with the B3K pushing it was icing on the cake.:bassist: