Disappointed in my GK Neo 212

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iScott, May 5, 2008.

1. iScott

iScott

Long story short... For what I'm doing this cab is not loud/powerful enough. I'm using a 6 string Spector and a GK 1001 head. It is perfect for the smaller gigs, no doubt. But for outdoor or larger gigs, it's not even close. I never feel confident that the cab isn't going to "fart" when I hit a not on the low b string (it starts doing that about about 50% volume). The size and weight of this cab makes it perfect for me to haul around in my car. But the price I paid doesn't justify the uses or the lack of power.

My current solution idea: Buy an old Blazer and then buy an 8x10.

:atoz:

2. Jayce Bass

Jayce Bass

+1 on the 810. You can't really expect to play a large crowd with just 2 12" speakers, no matter how effecient.

3. 62bass

62bass

That goes without saying that 2x12s won't cut it at extreme volume, particularly with a 6 string. If you could keep your stage volume at a reasonable level and use the cab as a monitor and use the PA to fill the room you'd have a much better chance.

The problem isn't the GK 2x12. Any comparable 2x12 cabinet will suffer under extreme conditions.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

The Neo 212 is loud, but it's not going to replace a PA. :p

If you like the tone, perhaps you should consider a Neo 412 instead - that can handle its own. Regardless of what bigger cab you get, however, your car isn't going to like you very much. :meh:

One question, though - how much louder do you really need to be? I've been gigging with guitarists who wield Mesa Dual Rectifier half-stacks, and I'm also using a Neo 212. I'm loud enough at small gigs, and for larger venues, I've had my cabinet miked with my own Sennheiser MD421 (convincing the soundguy was tricky...).

Do you just need to be louder to hear yourself, or is there a lack of PA support? A different cabinet may only be part of the solution, if it's a part at all.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iScott

iScott

That's mostly it. Most place we play don't have their own PA and ours runs everything except me. When we do play at places with a good PA, then it's not a problem, I just do what y'all are saying; use my cab as a monitor more than anything. Personally, we only have one sub and we use that for the kick and toms. So, for now, I've got to rely solely on my cab. Otherwise this probably wouldn't be as much of a problem.

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

Ack. :meh:

What about the GK Neo 412? It's lighter and a bit smaller than an Ampeg fridge cab.

Hmm... perhaps it may be time to invest in a good truck. :D

8. iScott

iScott

Refer to original post. ;)

Thanks, guys. Just making sure I wasn't crazy or doing something wrong.
    (It happens quite often!)

9. roosterbass

roosterbass

i found putting a 210 on top of my 212 (both aguilar gs series) helped a ton....not only is it generally louder, but you have a speakers pointing more at head level. i havent used it for any outdoor gigs but it seems to be more than enough.

10. bothroysnvts

bothroysnvts

Just a few thoughts.... A GK 1001RBII will only put out 460 watts into 8 ohms. From GK's website, they only make an 8 ohm Neo 212. Maybe adding another GK Neo 212 and stacking it to get the full 700 watts of your 1001RBII into speakers that are closer to your head might be the ticket.

Good Luck!:bassist:

11. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

226.08 sq. in. speaker area and 480 watts is not enough to play big places or outdoors with minimal PA not matter who the manufacturer is. A fridge is going to add 220W and 401.92 sq. in. speaker area so it isn't a fair comparison.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Thirding this one: Get a Neo 4x12

The speakers are a ton higher, and it's 4 ohms. It should kill and it's light, with a tilt back luggage rack style setup I believe.

13. BoognishMang

BoognishMang

try the Genz Benz 2x12, it's 4 ohms. I have mine matched with an Ashdown EVO II. I'm always told to turn it down!

14. modulusman

modulusman

Thats what I do. For small jobs or ones with good PA support I bring one cab. If I need to be LOUD I bring two 212 Neos.

15. Dr. Eagle

Dr. Eagle

That's the right answer (IMHO). I have an SWR Silverado Special 2x12 and I've been using a 4x10 for a little extra oomph... but I want to dump the 4x10 and get a 2x12 extension cabinet. Modular is good...

16. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

+1 This will make a huge difference. Prove it to yourself by taking your current rig into a GK store and plugging in a second 212. I bet it will go loud enough that they ask you to leave. :D

17. iScott

iScott

Very cool. Makes good sense.
    What do y'all think about a Neo 1x15 versus another Neo 212?

18. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

You seem to be digging everything about the 212 other than the fact it's not loud enuff, so I reckon you should just get another one. A pair won't just be louder, they will sound much bigger and have significantly more authority in the bottom end (due to driver coupling). I think you might be surprised.

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I don't know about Neo115 vs. another Neo212, but I also thought of the 115 possibility. In fact, I'm thinking of it myself because I want to add a cab to my Neo112 rig. I'll probably just get another 112, to save weight and space if nothing else. Plus, I think the G-K Neo twelves work incredibly well with Jazz basses, and my only five is a J.

Also, are you running any compression? I've pushed my little Neo112 to surprising levels without any farting by taming the transients with an Aphex Punch Factory.

20. kaiser_sosea

kaiser_sosea

+1 to adding another cab, this should be the obvious answer as it will be easier to transport than said fridge and will take advantage of all your head has to offer, plus stacking the cabs will put drivers right at ear level for monitoring purposes

21. iScott

iScott

That's what I like to hear! :D

Not at the moment but I've been looking into it a lot. The next time I have some extra coin I think I'll be investing in an EBS pedal. I hear nothing but great things.