1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Discontinued Ashula Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wsmerwin@hotmai, Feb 3, 2012.

1. wsmerwin@hotmai

wsmerwin@hotmai

I recently learned of the SR2010ASC Ashula hybrid bass. After what appears to be a period of eighteen months, this instrument is no longer in production. What caused this instrument in particular (and any instrument) to be discontinued ?
  2. bassybeenz

bassybeenz

Probably the fact that no one bought it.

I always thought the stock tuning was kinda dumb, I would have tuned it b-c like a regular 6 so that g and c would be fretless. And I'd have a low b to d for regular bass lines.
  3. wsmerwin@hotmai

wsmerwin@hotmai

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It was a special 2010 model, not meant to be continued in time.
  5. KingRazor

KingRazor

I wonder why the discontinued the SV guitar? That was a really nice sounding guitar.
  6. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I'd never heard of them before but I just checked out the Youtube video. It looks really fun to play
  7. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

Looked like an abortion to me. Like the builders ran out of fretwire one day and decided to cover it up by saying it's a hybrid.

I mean that and Jay Leno have the same thing in common they both outstayed their welcome (The Jay Leno show anyone?).
  8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

This is so not true!! The Ashula bass was sold very fast, cause Ibanez made only 200 of them, Limited Edition! The exact reason, why it was discontinued, stays a bit unsure for me, but I guess they just wanted to do something special :)
  9. Achille

Achille

it is a great bass, I own it.
    You can tune it anyway you like however it is not a 6 strings bass, just 4 + 2.
    I was a bit concerned when i saw it is made in Indonesia however...it sounds really good, it feels just like a very good Ibanez, the neck is excellent and looks gorgeous (at least to me). I bought it second hand from a guy that probably was not sure how to use it and indeed as hybrid bass you need to re-think your way of playing. I appreciate any instrument that invite you to search different paths in music, that's why I will keep it for a while.
  10. Wallace320

Wallace320

Not a great bass, but a great "concept" instead

I mean: in a shop I know so well, I was asked to try it out and eventually demo it

I briefly held it in my hands then, before actually startin' demo it, I asked for something like this: pull all the stock strings out, put a set of B, E, A, D in the lower fretted register (to have'em tuned A, D, G, C) then put a pair of flat G and C strings (regularly tuned) on the higher fretless register

This way, instead of doubling D and G string on same octave, with the nonsense (to me) of roundwounds on fretless fingerboard, I doubled G and C string on different octaves with a somewhat downtuned former Paul Gray Ibanez 4er and an additional proficient flat equipped fretless soloin' fingerboard.

Otherwise, I too felt perplexity about the stock Ashula tuning offering

My €. 0,02

Cheers,
    Wallace
  11. Thomas Kievit

The concept is great indeed! But in my opion, the sound of the Ashula is too ''cold''.
    Not a lot of sustain, no real deep and warm sounds.. Kinda miss that :(

Maybe if they made the body from Swamp Ash or Alder wood and put some better electronics in, it would sound great!
  12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Thought it was swamp ash? Anyway, one look at the poor thing and I kind of figured it would have a very short lifespan.
  13. Thomas Kievit

Light Ash body ;)

The idea behind it was very good, but like I said earlier : Some different electronics and different body wood, would have make it a bit better..

I was thinking more about a Swamp Ash body, custom Nordstrand EQ with bass and treble Boost/Cut controls and Nordstrand pups. Nordstrand DC pups for the fretted part, and then a added J-style Nordstrand for the fretless part :)
  14. Achille

Achille

maybe then it would have had a higher price and being a concept bass + expensive would not fit Ibanez target...:)
  15. pklima

pklima

I was thinking there'd be another use for it - a lot of mainstream pop songs these days have programmed synth parts with pitch bend effects which means notes inbetween the pitches of the 12-tone scale. Quick pitch bends like the ones in "Gangnam Style" sound fine on fretted, but slower ones don't really work - see the two-octave glisses in Rihanna's "We Found Love" as an example. This bass would let you cover most of those parts with the fretless section (OK, not "We Found Love", you'd run out of fingerboard in the original key of Bb minor), without having to give up frets for the rest of the song.

It might well be the perfect bass for playing a lot of popular songs from the past couple of years, at least if you don't have sequences or a keyboardist who's good at quickly configuring pitch bend wheel settings between songs.
  16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  17. Thomas Kievit

Why so? Gerald Veasley has a $5000 Ibanez signature bass, bus it's cheaper version (the import model), has the same specs. It's only 1 / 5th of the price of the GVB36 :) Okay, quality of construction and tone of the GVB1006 aren't as good as the GVB36, but still the wood types and electronics are still the same :)
  18. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

If I could play it as well as this dude I would want one:

He sounds a bit like Tony Franklin
  19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    He sounds very good. But it's definitely not the first fretted/fretless hybrid electric bass guitar. There was a company in the 90's whose name escapes me that was offering a fretted/fretless hybrid and a few more custom ones here and there years before Ibanez came out with theirs.
  20. sevdog

sevdog

I think it looks pretty sweet. If I had a spare grand to spend on a toy I might grab one of these. It definitely is a niche instrument. But with some creativity you could probably come up with some really cool songs...and you could tune it however you want, just like any bass, so that argument against it isn't very legitimate.