1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dishonesty/Deception in band promotion

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BryanM, Dec 4, 2013.

1. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

A member of my band took it upon himself, in addition to traditional promotion for an upcoming gig, to post in CL's no strings attached section something along the lines of pretending to be a 5'4 redhead female with green eyes looking to hook up at the show. He put it forward as if this fictional girl is a friend of the band from Chicago in town to see us play and looking for a place to stay and possibly more.

I find this a bit deplorable because at best it will draw people out to the show who are there only for a hookup with an anonymous person. At worst it comes across as desperate and underhanded if it becomes known that it was the work of the band.

He claims that this is just a trial idea and feels that it could be a benefit to the band if we're playing in a town that we haven't played in before.

I feel that it's deceitful, predatory towards lonely men and perverts that might show up (hopefully not so many perverts) and also towards any women at the show who have to deal with said perverts.

The damage is done, I'm just curious what the consensus is regarding such situations, hence the posting.
  2. DougBass

DougBass Supporting Member

I would fire him (if you can). That is uncalled for and like you said could cause harm. No excuse.
  3. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

I agree with DougBass. Reprehensible.
  4. Major Softie

Major Softie

You're working with scum.
  5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

Honesty is the best policy.

That being said, there are numerous ways to bend the truth and enhance the truth to your advantage. This is called marketing. These forms of deception known as marketing are a gray area and must be judged on the continuum of each person's moral scale. It is entirely legitimate that marketing that is moral for one person may be immoral for another person.

What your bandmate did is not bending or enhancing under the umbrella of marketing, it is an outright lie. This falls outside my zone of acceptability.

If it falls outside your zone of acceptability, you should tell him - and the rest of the band - it is not acceptable to you. Then you can all discuss what to do about this instance (I vote for immediately removing the CL posting) and how to proceed in the future.
  6. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Wow. That reeks of desperation, really.
    But, he was thinking outside of the box.

Attractive females will always draw a crowd. Bands? It can be hit or miss for many......
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

I find it hilarious.

Let it go.
  8. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

I would give him points for creativity... then fire him. Not cool.
  9. jnuts1

jnuts1

so am I the only one who thinks this is genius? I mean what could go wrong?
  10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

I stopped reading after "hot chick." Did you find a place for her to stay yet?:|
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman

I'm just saying, firing him for that is a dick move by far.

Kind of imposing your morality onto someone else, no?

I mean, "predatory towards lonely men and perverts?" Are you serious?

Let's not be predatory towards any perverts, by all means. Anyone stupid enough to try and "hook up" with fictional females deserves whatever they get.

I think you should run an additional ad promising to give $500.00 cash to whoever shows up with the most friends.
  12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

"CL is the breeding ground of deception"
    M. Twain

;)
  13. BrokeDownSouth

BrokeDownSouth Supporting Member

Copy that post into the W4W personals.
  14. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Don't worry. The laugh's on your bandmate. His email box will be full of penis pics.
  15. sobie18

sobie18

I would post something along the lines of "College cheerleading team to check out this hot band..." and go from there.
  16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I'd be willing to call it a practical joke, as a one-off. But I wouldn't allow it to become standard practice. Make that clear to him.
  17. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

+1
  18. Randall

Randall Supporting Member

Ask him what size dress does he wear?;)
  19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Are you guys seriously outraged by this move? Desperate and goofy? Yes. But if this strikes you as a true moral outrage, I would wager that you have never gigged outside of a Sunday school or a puppet show.
  20. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

big deal.
    just tell him not to do it again.

unless everyone else in the band likes the idea! ha!