1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Distillate Electronics Modifications

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassisgood4U, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

I removed the led light connection of my Alembic(it was making a little thud noise with the light flashing on and off), and had to make my own ground wire, which was a pin needle I stuck into the shielding paint that I had attached to a part of the input jack. It's been working for 3 months now, and my battery life improved 2 fold.

Will this have any long term effects/problems to my bass? I wouldn't be able to afford new stuff from their shop, and don't want any substitutes.
  2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Did some reading on the subject. I think I did everything right, as far as removing the led connection..I just want to know if using the pin needle is ok.
  3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

bump for info
  4. bassbenj

bassbenj

I'm not familiar with the bass so I'm not sure what the LED does, but presumably removing it (or disconnecting it) will cause no long-term effect on the bass except to extend your battery life!

And no, the pin ground is not OK. It has a number of problems such as falling out and not making a good connection to the conductive paint over time that can occur.

The standard ground connection to shield paint is to get one of these:

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/solder-lugs-keystone-electronics/23320

It is a solder lug with a built-in lockwasher with "teeth". The teeth "bite" the paint making a good connection. You simply solder a wire to lug, the other end of which goes to the body of the output jack (ground). Then you take a wood screw of the right size and simply screw the lug down on the paint so the teeth bite into the paint. Done. Permenant good connection you won't have to worry about.
  5. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Thank you. I hope I didn't damage anything under the hood while doing all that with the pin. It made a loud pop through the amp(I might have read about that happening, and it being ok), and this flange-fizz sound, just before I got it working again, got it activated. Sounds pretty flippin' great now.

The problem with the pin, was I couldn't get it in the wood very well. lol That's some dense stuff! I need one of those lugs.
    Thanks again.
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

If the bass is working again (all features) then you didn't damage it.

Rule. Transistors make better fuses than fuses.