1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

distorted guitar sound with bass sound.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ABSOLONbassplyr, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ABSOLONbassplyr

ABSOLONbassplyr

hey has anybody tried to use the settings on a boss me50b that lets you get a distorted guitar sound along with your clean bass sound? i have a me50b that i haven't used in a while and remembered a setting that lets you do this. just wondering if anyone else used it like this and if they liked the sound. i cant try it out right now since all my gear is loaded at the club for tonight's gig. thx

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

a blender pedal can help you out with that. using a blender pedal can help you mix the dry signal of your original bass sound with the effect signal of the distortion patch you use on your boss me-50b. a boss ls-2 line selector is the most popular choice.

3. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

If you're talking about just using the blend, I found quite a few of those settings pretty useful. If you're talking about the high band distortion, I didn't like the way that worked as well. I gave it a few chances, But the distortion wasn't as nice as the Muff fuzz, ODB3 or the SansAmp models using the blend functions.

YMMV

4. ABSOLONbassplyr

ABSOLONbassplyr

thx guys. i played with it a lil before my gig and dont really like the me-50b's sound. gonna have to try some of y'alls suggestions. thx

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

7. ABSOLONbassplyr

ABSOLONbassplyr

thats cool but not what i really want. lookin for something that will let my regular bass tone play thru while adding an octave up and distorting only the octave signal. i still want my low bass sound in the mix like normal.

8. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

The Sansamp GT-2 has been my preference for a very long time for "bass played through a Marshall stack" type tones!

9. pietrov

pietrov

10. LegoBass

LegoBass

http://www.bestbassgear.com/ebs-sheehan.htm
    This might be worth looking into. It may not have the octave up that you are looking for but would be an easy one pedal way to get a clean/drive split. It does have a loop section where if you wanted to add an octave up to only the drive side, you could.

I haven't heard any sound clips yet, but knowing Sheehan, it probably has a ton of gain and will just distort to about any level you need. But of course, YMMV.

11. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

It does have clean blend as well, but I don't think he used it in the demo.

12. ABSOLONbassplyr

ABSOLONbassplyr

thx all. i'm gonna have to go to the music store and try to figure out how and what i need.

13. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

You can get decent results blending, but if you can run 2 channels on the PA you will get exactly what you are searching for and for the cost of a second passive DI to put that the front of your fx chain

14. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

so you're looking for something like the fishman fission or the akai unibass. my band uses the fission to great effect. with only one guitar, if i step out to play some sort of leady thing that isnt chords, my bassist will kick this on and play the role of both. we run the effected signal through a marshall combo and no one can tell the difference. all of a sudden the mix gets bigger.

we also have a keys player who doubles on rhythm guitar on occasion. the one song that features all of us on guitars is THICK. also good if both guitars step out for a harmonized lead and the rhythm section gets thin.

15. ABSOLONbassplyr

ABSOLONbassplyr

yes, from what i've read the Akai would be perfect. IF i could fine one and IF i could afford it. lol was just wondering if there was another way of doing what the Akai does.
    this would be awesome. but their hard to find.
    [​IMG]

16. ABSOLONbassplyr

ABSOLONbassplyr

just look up the fishman fission. looks like that would be perfect also. thx man. never heard of the fishman before.