1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Distortion: before or after EQ/limiter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Salamenster, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

Building a small pedal chain. Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion (perfect mix between distortion and fuzz), Boss LM-2B Limiter and GE-7B EQ (used as a treble boost).

I've already concluded that the EQ should be before the limiter, but I'm still debating about the position of the DS-2.

Where's your distortion (if you use it) set, and why? :hyper:
  2. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

To my ears , overall tone sounds better whith EQ is after distortion/fuzz.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

I put my dirt pedals before any compressors. I don't want my dirt pedals getting a limited/compressed signal since they work off of dynamics. I also have my EQ at the start of the chain since it's a tone shaper.

So the correct answer is...try it both ways and see which you like better :)
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I switch the compression off when I switch the dirt on, and vice versa--so for me the order doesn't matter.
  5. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I have eq at the end of the chain.
    Since it is a tone shaper, and distortion is part of my tone, I like it last.
    But, I also have an active eq on my guitar that I sometimes adjust, for bass or treble boost.
    So I guess I have eq first and last.
    I have also put an eq/boost in the middle, just before or after distortion to tweak the flavor a bit.
    So yeah, sorry, try it everywhere... heh.

I don't currently use compressors, well, just the one on my amp, so last I guess.
    But I have been considering a limiter to control peaks when I go fuzz > filter, which get outa control sometimes.
    So it too would be last for me.

In general: bass > distortion > eq > compression (not always on)
  6. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

Depends on the dirt and your taste. I had one overdrive before my comp and one after. The one after was really sensitive to dynamics and what I used it for needed a consistent grind.

Don't ask us, try it and figure out what you like, then do that.
  7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    experiment :) EQ before distortion shapes up the guitar signal, after shapes up the distortion