1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Distortion/Overdrive pedal with blend(mix) knob

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nikki271027, Jan 6, 2013.

1. nikki271027

nikki271027

I play in a metal band.
    I need a pedal only for distortion/overdrive and which w/ blend knob can mix clean signal and overdriven.
    Please recommend me some pedal.
    Thx.

p.s. I like these sound.
    Mr. Big - Still Ain't Enough For Me
  2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

What's the budget ? What's the rest of your rig ?
  3. nikki271027

nikki271027

I use Lakland 55-02 and VT bass.
    My budget is about 200$.
  4. Scobby Bott

Scobby Bott Supporting Member

Take at Fuzzrocious stuff and see if any of that is in your price range. I'd bet Ryan would be willing to add a clean blend to one of those, and in that case a Rat King might be right up your alley.
  5. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Yes sir! We can do a clean blend on almost any design.
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

With that budget, you'll get a lot of good suggestions, OD/distortion/fuzz is one of the most popular subjects here. I'll go with 2 (both have a blend knob):

- MXR Bass DI+: which has a distortion channel and can double as DI box

- Digitech BassDriver: can do from light OD to distortion to fuzz and is sort of a jack-of-all trades thing.

New, they go for 140 $ and 90 $ (CAD) and can be had used in great condition for a little more than half those prices. That could leave you with a bit of left-over to go for another pedal, if needed or wanted, of course.

Using the search function might provide helpful. I recall seeing a thread about using effects for metal around here somewhere.
  7. nikki271027

nikki271027

Or I may save money to buy a B3K.
    anybody?
  8. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

U can get a used b3k for $230 a lot nowdays in the classifieds.
  9. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

If you like Nolly's tone then get a Darkglass B3K.
  10. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

As a B3K owner of course I'd recommend it, but I'd say depends what kind of tone you're going for. B3K will give you a nice grind and distortion, but if you want something more visceral, a Rat Tail would be appropriate.
  11. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Supporting Member

Yeah lots of suggestions in that price range, and lots of cool pedals with a blend knob.
    For a good "grindy" kind of distortion I really like the Heavy Electronics El Oso, and a used one will be pretty gentle on your wallet.

Edit: just caught you had links to preferred sounds... on that note, EBS is coming out with the Billy Sheehan pedal, has a blend knob and is $199.
  12. liveburning274

liveburning274

TREX Bass Juice. It's got a great blend. This thing is blowing my mind with everything from mild OD all the way to a very musical fuzz.
  13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 Bass Juice is beyond awesome. For reference, I used an EBS Valve Drive for many years, and the Juice does what the EBS pedal did, and then some. Anything from a mild o/d to full crunch, with a tasty blend and even some tone control. Excellent choice.
  14. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

T-Rex "Crunchy Frog"
    Way Huge "Pork Loin"
    Boss bass overdrive

All have "clean blends."
  15. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Nolly uses the Microtubes B7K.

If not keen on EQ, get the B3K.
  16. Andy Will

Andy Will

Mr Big/Billy Sheehan: EBS Sheehan Drive (about to go on sale shortly)

Think this is the closest we might get to Mr. Sheehan's Pearce pre-amp/overdrive sound in a simple package (his rig is quite cleverly set up otherwise).

Periphery/Nolly Getgood: As mentioned by the previous posters Nolly pretty much built his tone around the Darkglass B7K according to the interviews.

Of course there are many outside factors such as our amps, basses, pickups etc. but these are a good start on the way to finding your own tone, which is the more fun challenge! ;)

P.S. Both of these pedals have clean blends built in.
  17. simenandreas

simenandreas

I am also a owner of the darkglass b3k, and the sound is simply amazing, especially playing with a pick! Get an 35 scale bass with a nice low action setup and you`re good to go metal!
    This is me playing Lamb of God with the b3k!

18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

This. Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on the new EBS pedal.... if I can. Apparently it's going to be a limited run at first.
  19. fasto

fasto

the new MXR Bass Overdrive (march 2013) will have a blend knob.

But you could by yourself a blend pedal (Boss LS-2 or the fantastic Xotic X-Blender) and try many different overdrive/distortion pedals with it. No need for a specific bass pedal then.