1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Distortion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gramhamfan, Nov 26, 2012.

1. gramhamfan

gramhamfan

Hello everyone. I am a new member and I have a question about my my amp(s). I have a GK 700RBII and A Hartke HA 3500 amp head that I play through an Ampeg 410 or SWR a Workingpro 15 speaker cabinet (depending on the gig). I'm trying to figure out why my bass sounds distorted in the lower frequencies when I use either amp head with the SWR speaker cabinet. I figured it is either not matched power wise or ohm wise, or my amp settings are not correct. On the GK 700, I'm not sure about the balance of volume, gain, boost, etc. And on the Hartke, the combination of Graphic, tube and solid state gain, low boost/high boost etc. is also hard to balance. What should be my starting point? Oh, yeah, the main basses I use are a Warwick 6 sting thumb bass and a Fender Jazz 5 string,which gives me the most problem with low end balance.
  2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

A few threads on this.

Basically it takes 2 10" speakers to equal the sensitivity of 1 15"
    speaker.

But if you mate a 1x15 with a 410 the output of the 4x10 will now be louder than 1x15. And the 1x15 will reach distortion way before the 4x10.

It would take 2 x15 to balance the system out. but unmatched speakers running on no crossover will have phase cancellation.
    And cause strange dips or peaks in the overall EQ of your rig.

A better setup would be 2 matching 4x10 or 2 matching 1x15

otherwise to help out a bit dont put the 15 on the bottom of the stack like every horrible bass amp magazine add has shown.

Put the 15 on top so you can hear it better and be able to tell when it runs into distortion.

then save up for a matching rig.
    Check your Amps owners manual for getting started tips, most manuals will come with recommended generic knob settings....then dial in from there
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I think this is more of an eq question- and if that's correct, try CUTTING the low freq's and boosting the mids. I think you may be asking for too much low end. Bass guitar cuts through thanks to the mids, not the lows.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What are you settings on the GK?
  5. RenorCordic

RenorCordic

I don't think he's using both at gigs, just one or the other depending on the situation. I'm with RickenBoogie, try cutting the lows.
  6. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

If you're using the same settings with your 410 as you are with the 15 it's likely the 15 just can't take as much as the 410. Lower bass frequencies, and up mids, maybe lower gain and raise the volume a bit to stay as clean as possible.
  7. gramhamfan

gramhamfan

OK thanks. I think I understand whats happening now. I think cutting the lows will solve it. What about low mids? I get distortion at around 250 hertz on the graphic.
  8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Cut ANYTHING that sounds bad.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're probably just asking too much out of the SWR cab.