1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ditching a fridge for a 610?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatisacup, Dec 26, 2012.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

I have an OSB Ampeg 810 that's falling apart. I'm toying the idea of another 810, but I can make any decent cab sound good, so if I find a good rig, I won't miss it.

I'm highly considering an Avatar 410 + 210 (8 ohm 410, 4 ohm 210 wired to 16 ohms, total load 5.3 ohms, equal power to each speaker). Having two separate cabs will defiantly help me move around.

I play through a Genz streamliner and an Ampeg SVT 7 pro.

How much loss of volume will I experience with the switch?

Tone isn't an issue, I've played and like avatars.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

How much volume do you loose? tough to say, it will be marginal. Either a SL-900 or SVT 7-pro will have more than enough juice to push those cabs paired up to their limits.
  3. whatisacup

whatisacup

Thanks. Even if it isn't AS LOUD as the 810, this is going to be my big rig. I want something that can handle anything.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you have two cabinets with different resistances you are going to have problems with power, the 8 ohm cab will get more juice than the 4 ohm (I think).
  5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

*Shrug*... thats pretty relative. Some guys get by with a 112 combo and its more than enough. Some stack two 810s under a big tube amp.

How loud do you need to be?
  6. whatisacup

whatisacup

Not if I wire it as I mentioned it in the original post. the 4 ohm (2 8 ohm drivers rewired to 16 ohms) is 5.3 ohms.
  7. whatisacup

whatisacup

At this point, not super super loud.

I just like to have a nice cab setup that can hold up. I typically keep my gear for a long time (10 years + most of my stuff).
  8. AllForYourDelig

AllForYourDelig

The 210 will be wired to 16 ohms and the 410 will be wired to 8ohms so the cabs will be getting different amounts but each speaker will receive the same amount of power.
  9. stiles72

stiles72

What do you mean by "falling apart" ? Do you mean the wood is literally breaking apart, or do you mean the tolex is just ripped up from load in/load out and it looks cosmetically rough?

I personally find moving one fridge around much easier than having to dead lift two separate cabs. The fridge has wheels and the towel bar, and some models come with skid rails depending on the year they were made.

If it were me, I would just keep the 810 and make any needed repairs or cosmetic restoration.
  10. whatisacup

whatisacup

Falling apart. The section where the casters mount to the cab, the wood is splitting. The section is separating. It needs a major repair by someone who is good with wood working.

The tiltback and roll is nice, but, stairs are too common.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I use a Bergantino NV610 in my modern rock band, where the guitard usually runs his Mesa Rectifier 4x12 rig WAAAY too loud onstage. I run a 1500W amp into it, and if there's any dropoff in volume from the old 8x10 cabs that I used to use, I don't notice it.

Well, there's some dropoff when I'm standing right in front of the cab, simply because the top speakers are a little farther from ear level. But the NV610 gets hella loud with no speaker breakup. It can keep up with the Mesa just fine. :cool:
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

I use a 610 Eden (a 6 ohm cab) as one of my gigging rigs. I power it with a WT1205, so it is getting around 1050 watts.

I will take that setup ANY day over the SVT810 I used to own.

I also used to run an Eden 410XLT (4 ohms) and an Eden 210XLT (8 ohms), powered by a WT550B head, so the cabs were getting 600-some watts. That rig was also VERY loud when needed, sounded great, and was very handy for the fact that I could use either cab, or both, depending on the amount of air I needed to move.
  13. whatisacup

whatisacup

You think the NV610 is as (or atleast almost) as loud as the 810?
  14. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

If you have the watts to push it, the nv610 will handle more power than the ampeg. Take my word on that one. The eden d610xlt is probably the baddest 6x10 in my opinion but it's discontinued. It's also 30lbs heavier than the nv610 though.
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

The 610XST (which replaced the XLT model) is a PIG to move around, but it's an absolute killer cabinet. It weighs nearly as much as some 810s, and more than others.
  16. agreatheight

agreatheight

I have been running an SWR Bass 350 (240 watts at 8 ohms, 350 at 4, 450 at 2) into an SWR Goliath SWR 610 (4 ohms) and it is WAY too loud for my moderate volume cover band. I am running gain on 11:00 and the Master on 9:00 most rooms. So there is plenty more on tap from a fairly low watt head. I used to do out door shows with smaller rigs, so it should be fine for most situations.

As for what you should get, I think volume is much less of a concern than tone. For example, I really like the cab with my SWR head, but don't love it for my GK700RB (for which I use a RBH410 and dig it). If you are buying the cab used, bring your head and get it to volume. Same for in store, too, then try it at home and at rehearsal - if you buy it from a store that has a good return policy.

Best of luck!
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A pair of Genz 2x12 cabs will get super loud and I expect they will do anything you need to.
  18. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

The Ampeg cabs are great, but even with my older 810e I was able to get it to fart out pretty quickly playing my downtuned 5er. My Mesa PH610 sounds great, is easier to move, and can take more power then my old Ampeg 810e. The 810e is the industry standard, but theres SO much more out there.
  19. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I went from a 210+410 rig to a single 610 cab to a single 810 cab, and here are my thoughts:

If you're going to use (6) tens or more consistantly, IME/IMO a single big cab is easier to deal with than two separates - less lifting, and less trips... Sure, the single big cab will be bigger and heavier, but most will tilt and roll for moving, and tilt and slide for loading - whereas you'll be doing more actual lifting, carrying, and making more trips with a 210+410 setup...

610 vs 810:

To me, any good quality 610 will get loud enough for any *reasonable* stage setting - IMO, the 810 shines in being able to hear yourself better without necessarily getting louder... Having that extra pair of tens up near ear level makes all the difference in the world if you're having a hard time hearing yourself in a loud band... I had both a PH610 and PH810 for awhile, and the difference was noticeable to me - enough so that I sold the 610, kept the 810, and bought a 215 for a different sound when I wanted it... The 810 wasn't all that much bigger than the 610, but performed well enough that the 610 just stayed home, and became expendable... Also, the 810 is actually easier to load into my truck, since it's taller than the 610 was...

- georgestrings
  20. Tuned

Tuned

Then why have the two at the bottom? Why not just elevate a 6x10? I use a 4x10 on a stool and I never run out of power no matter how loud my bands get. The bottom four 10s just make the rest of the band play louder.

Back to the OP, Ampeg 8x10's are 800W and 102dB sensitive, modern 4x10's are 800W and 105dB sensitive. The 4x10 is already louder than your 8x10, and since the sound is coming from a smaller area it's more focused directly in front, so you feel more with less overall output (band stays quieter). You probably don't need the 2x10, and a 4 ohm 4x10 would load your amp better. Two 8 ohm 2x10's are becoming a more popular option it seems, since one 2x10 will suit many situations.