DIY 2x10 1x15 Bass cab w. Scoop

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by estatke, Mar 18, 2014.

1. estatke

estatke

Hello!

I need technical guidance on my DIY bass cab.

The design:

A 15" scoop-bass bin with 2x10" cab on top. I have the plans for the scoop from here: http://ftp.dancetech.com/article.cfm?threadid=181

The ting is: i want to make my cab like a combo, instead of stacking the cabs.

Will it be possible, considering the depth of the 15" cab compared to the depth of the 10"s?

My amp is an Acoustic B800h 800 watts/4ohm. The speakers
    are 2 10's both 300 watt/8ohm, and the 15" is 1250 watts/8ohm. Will i run into any problems? And what driver should i need?

What else should i consider before going to work?

Thanks you.
  2. abarson

abarson

You're working at cross purposes. The allure of a combo is that it is small enough to transport without making multiple trips to your car. The speaker you are designing won't be portable, and stuffing that big amp head into it will just compound the problem.

I'm stating this from personal experience. Here's my old rig, a "combo" made from a Carvin R1015 (2x8 + 1x15) and my Tubeworks RT-3300. It weighed about 100 lbs. and took up the entire trunk of my car. This is much more compact than your scoop. It sounded awesome, but broke me physically to transport.

[​IMG]

The scoop you linked will be useless for playing bass, as it will have very little definition in the frequencies you care about, and throwing a couple of 10's on top of it won't solve the sound. The scoop was popular as a PA bass bin, but even they are somewhat outdated.

Your design will end up being almost as tall as you are (assuming you're not a giant). The controls will be difficult to reach, and the whole thing might end up being dangerously top heavy.

There are better solutions on the market today, especially greenboy's fEarful 15/6, or even 1515/66, if you must go large. Build one of those instead of doing something senseless from scratch.
  3. Zoa

Zoa

I would like to agree with abarson. What are your goals, sonic or otherwise, in building a cab?
  4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I'll third the "bad idea" motion
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Ampeg made something like this for a while called the PR1528HE. You can find a lot of them used. You might want to give one a try before you build your own.
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Further more the impedance of those drivers is not going to work out happily with that amp.
  8. estatke

estatke

Thank you all.

The reason i want the scoop, is because i want my bass cab to look like a jamaican soundsystem.
    I know a saw a guy in the "rigs of doom" who operated with scoops.

@c400lpeavey: what problems will i have on the impendence?

would a folded horn design help me more?
  9. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Pray tell, what does a "Jamaican soundsystem look like?

You have three drivers, all 8 Ohms. Which means your 10's would either be in parallel at 4 Ohms, or in series at 16 ohms. So you are either running at 5.33 Ohms, sending less power to the 10's, or 2.6 Ohms blowing up your amp.

What do you think a folded horn or scoop will accomplish for you?
  10. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Jamaican sound system... Ganga stains?

The OP wish list sounds like farming: easy work when you plow with a pencil.
    I shudder to think how much a 2x10 embedded in a scoop would weigh, and how awful to transport.

OP, if you want DIY for bass horns, etc, go to the Bill Fitzmaurice web site and buy a set of plans.
  11. Cirk

Cirk

Good call. From what Ikve read, the BFM cabs sound great. If your build it just right, it may break the WAF threshhold.
  12. estatke

estatke

Allright. I see your points. I am now aware that the scoop is used in PA systems for any music.. My only experience with scoops or folded horns in PA systems has been at reggae-soundclashes. Also, i saw this: http://www.jahtari.org/magazine/reggae/images/tubby_speaker.jpg

I think i must have mistaken it for a bass amp, and that's why i wanted my bass cab to look like that.

I just visited Bill's website and instantly fell in love with the Omni15 Tallboy. What a beauty. Thank you all for directing me to that insanely nice website.

Could i maybe make it a 2x15? Or is one speaker (1000 watt/4ohm) enough?
  13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are going to go with a BFM, I would be asking Bill.