DIY Bass Kit- NO NO? YES YES?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CM63, Mar 25, 2014.

1. CM63

CM63

2. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ Supporting Member

Putting a decent finish on it is going to be the hardest part, especially if you don't have any experience. Do your homework and see what you're getting yourself into trying to paint it, and then see if you still want to proceed. Btw, check out the luthier forum here

3. Dogsofwar

Dogsofwar

I make my second DIY kit... Be carefull! The finishing are the hardest part, of the building procedure.
    You have two choice:

1, the poliurethane/nitro lacquer. You need an HVLP paintbrush, with a matching compressor. This is the beautiest choice, but even the hardest..

2, tru-oil, or some hard-oil. This version is much easier, but the result are not so beautifull. And not so long standing.

DIY-kit made for the people who will have challenge. You can make beautifull custom basses, but easy to fail... If this is your first kit, better buy a factory maded one... and take this not to offensive...

4. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Carvin makes a B40 & B50 kit, but they cost a lot more, and will definitely be much, much nicer basses, however - one TBer posted a thread on building one, and found that it would have been cheaper just to buy the bass already built/finished.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Just find a nice used bass you love. Buy it and play it!

timobee4 likes this.
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84

I've thought about doing one of these. I'm holding off until after I try my hand at refinishing an old body I have.

That said, I'm doing a stain & gun stock oil finish. Much easier to apply.

8. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I'd shy away from those cheapo bass kits.Checkout the carvin kits a very good and made right,Spend the extra money on something decent.

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Just buy a nice used Squier Jazz bass for about $150 and practice your luthier skills on modding it.

10. M0ses

M0ses

I don't think the OP is asking if it's cost effective. It's very clearly not. We all know you can get fantastic basses for dirt cheap these days.

11. TinIndian

TinIndian

Finishing work really isn't that hard and you dont have to have an HVLP gun for excellent results. I did a Warmoth build last year and did a rattle can job on it and it came out awesome. I used Guitar Reranch lacquer primer and their Lake Placid Blue lacquer. I cleared it using Minwax spray Gloss lacquer clear. All from spray cans. You have to be patient and wait for the finish to dry properly. A couple weeks in between steps. Then you do your finish sanding and polishing. Took about a month for all the steps to properly finish it. My old drummer who used to paint cars for a living was extremely doubtful of the whole thing but was just as impressed when it was done.

There is a rattle can refinishing club thread in the luthier forum I think and the people there are an invaluable resource and very helpful.

12. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd agree that finishing is the hardest part. You can use a spray lacquer with good results though - no need for a spray gun and compressor. There are some fine examples of a spray lacquer finish in the Luthier's Corner section of the forum.

There are also examples of hand rubbed oil finishes that are just as nice.

Both can be challenging and time consuming though, so I'd highly recommend that you do your research.

13. TinIndian

TinIndian

The hardest part I found about finishing is having the patience to wait out the drying and outgassing!

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

DIY bass kit - NO, NO, NO, NO.

It just doesn't add up. At the very best, you've spent a lot of time and money on a bass that's worth less than what you paid for the kit.

I'm all for DIY when it makes economic sense. Building instruments is not one of those instances.

15. poit57

poit57

I recently purchased one of these DIY kits on ebay mainly so I can get experience in painting a guitar body. I am using rattle cans from Reranch. For this learning experience, the price for the entire kit seemed very reasonable compared to just finding a guitar body to paint. I know there is probably a question of quality control on these kits, but the woodworking on mine looks pretty good.

16. CM63

CM63

I have gone down this path many times. I just feel that I may learn more going the DIY route starting with a kit like this makes sense to me as a 1st step towards the next step.
    Who knows? I may Totally regret it, or completely love it!
    For under $200 I'll risk it.

17. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

This is quite true from the economic standpoint. HOWEVER, I have always defined "worth it" for me to include other considerations than just the economic value.

Whether it's "worth it" depends on each individual's value system, doesn't it?

If someone places a high individual value on building something themself, then it is definitely "worth it" to that person!

And most assuredly YMMV!

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I've made plenty of frankensteins but neither of these.
    $200--With patience and a little more money I can put together a solid parts-bass with better quality components from tb classifieds or consolidating cheap gtr center used basses.
    Answer: no

19. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

I say do it, just the satisfaction you get from doing the work of assembling and painting yourself is worth the price IMO.
    I bought this kit an tha namm show last january and so far i'm loving it:
    SAM_3928.JPG SAM_3928.JPG SAM_3919.JPG

AGH likes this.
  20. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

It just needs better pickups!

21. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have to agree. I've put together a couple of guitar kits (like my flamed maple Les Paul) and was VERY happy with them. And that got me looking at bass kits. Nothing I ever saw floated my boat. They either cost more than buying virtually the same bass assembled (eg. Carvin) or they were so hokey you might as well go buy some used entry bass. So I always end up doing mods. For example SX makes really nice Fender-clone basses with REAL alder or ash wood that actually start out playable, and thus turn into amazing basses once you get your personal mods into them. So for me and bass kits I've pretty much decided that it's either Frankenbass projects (basses from parts) or the Mod the decent wood factory bass. For me the next step is not a kit but build the whole bass from chunks of wood.

My answer: No.