DIY Bass refinish attempt

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Abrahampost, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Abrahampost

Abrahampost Supporting Member

Decided I should start a thread showing my first attempt at refinishing an old bass. This is a Godin Freeway 4 string bass that was my main gigging bass for about 4 years and has definitely seen better days.

Since this mid level bass holds a special place in my heart, I figured it would be better to try and refinish it since the total cost of the project will be less than its resale value.

First step was stripping all the stickers, gunk, and grime off chemically. After a few attempts to strip the finish I have given up and decided to sand it by hand down to the bare(hopefully nice looking) silver leaf maple underneath.

It took about two days to sand the bass down to bare wood.... a total of about 8 hours using 60, 120, 220, and 300 grit paper. I was pleased to see that the top is of decent quality except for a few stress cracks which I decided to fill and clamp overnight. Next will be the staining process.

I'll attach a few photos of the sanding process.

Attached Files:

2. Abrahampost

And here is the back

Attached Files:

3. Abrahampost

After some research on finish options I decided to try out Wudtone. The reviews make it seem like an easy process and they have been awesome answering questions via email the past couple days. I chose an emerald green finish with gold highlights and a satin finish.

The Wudtone products comes with a deep color coat, base coats, a highlight coat, and then clear coats to finish. All coats are applied with terry cloth and require no spraying and only decent ventilation when applied.

They recommend 48 hours of drying time between deep color ans base coats. The finish clear coats take about a week to set in. My plan is to do one deep color coat followed by 5 or 6 base coats to get the color as dark as possible. Each coat is applied with terry cloth, cured, then gone over with steel wool before the next coat is applied.

Here is the deep color coat applied.

Attached Files:

4. Abrahampost

And the back

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad