1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DIY cabinet stands for mini rigs of doom

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rob22315, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Rob22315

Rob22315

Continued from here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/nad-g-k-mb110-mighty-mouse-1032771/index3.html#post15219721

The OP in the above thread inspired me to build my own cab stand for my 1x10 Overton OB-110. Rather than continue to hijack his thread, I started another. Here's a picture:

tu3uhame.jpg

It stands about 9" high and is made with cheap 1/2" plywood (finished hardwood on both sides) from HD and painted with truck bed liner. It has about 1/2" rise over 8" so there's a little tiltback to it but I kept it low enough that I didn't eliminate floor coupling.

The paint is still drying so I won't get a chance to try it out for a couple of days. I'll try to A/B/C it in various settings to see if there's a difference between A - sitting flat on the floor; B - on the floor tilted; or C - raised up on the stand and tilted.

The other poster's stand is about 18" high and has more tiltback so perhaps he can post his experiences here as well.
  2. JACink

JACink

Nice work.

Are the holes just to reduce weight or is there some other reason?
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Cardboard wedge, collapses and stuffs in port for transport. I own doom.
  4. Rob22315

Rob22315

Reduce weight.
  5. Rob22315

Rob22315

That would be option B. Dunno yet if there's a difference on the floor or 9" up.
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Looks great!
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

No difference in lows coupling with the floor, but the tiltback I get is very good for close range monitoring. Honestly, I don't see any point to a 9" flat riser.
  8. Rob22315

Rob22315

If close range monitoring is all you want to do, then there probably isn't any point. Floor coupling wouldn't matter either.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Asking or telling?
  10. Rob22315

Rob22315

Discussing. As a monitor, I wouldn't need a stand, just a stable way to get it pointed towards my ears and getting the lows to couple to get the most out of the limited low lows from these cabs isn't a factor because you're too close for that to matter.

The other guy did an 18" stand to get the mids up off the floor but I don't know why he did as much tilt as he did because that points the mids too high IMHO. I did something in between - less tilt and lower to the floor - but I may not have gained as much in getting the mids out in the open.

It was a lot of fun building so 'the journey' was just as important as the results. I also think the stands look great so the combo of a really small cab on an industrial looking stand putting out big sound leaves a lasting impression.
  11. Rob22315

Rob22315

Some pics of the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't A/B'd it yet to see if the sound is different. I will post once I have time to compare.